SF Strykers?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: SF Strykers? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:15 pm
    ----
From an article on InsideDefense.com, the Pentagon's supplemental funding request includes 2 Strykers for SF... I know they have Pandur Armored Ground Mobility Systems (AGMS), but this is another step up... Unless they were already getting/had Strykers and I just hadnt seen it.

"$165 million to buy 18 Stryker vehicles, two of which are for Special Forces"

Neil

#2: Re: SF Strykers? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:20 pm
    ----
From an interview last year with the CG of USASFC(A):

"Q: Related to that, there has been mention of using the Stryker for some special operations forces. Does that relate to Special Forces?

"A: Bottom line is that we are staying with the ground mobility vehicle system right now. General [Bryan ‘Doug’] Brown commander, U.S. Special Operations Command] has a view of many programs and could be looking at a variety of uses for the Stryker. I could see applications where we could use the Stryker in certain conditions, specifically in urban terrain if we didn’t have the support of a conventional force that had this type of vehicle. For Special Forces, we are sticking strictly with the GMV unless we determine that we need another unique vehicle to accomplish our mission. If we identify a justifiable need for the Stryker, I’m sure General Brown would support us.

"Recently, we have been able to work closely with conventional units and there have been enough of the larger vehicles on the battlefield to get us where we need to go."

Interview

Neil

#3: Re: SF Strykers? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:02 pm
    ----
- Tumbleweed
I've noticed lately that you don't hear the term "Interim' used with Stryker....

Oh yeah, that got killed way back... IAV was dropped along with the change from Interim Brigade Combat Team to Stryker Brigade Combat Team.

BTW, UA/UE is dead now too if no one had noticed...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board