Vietnam Gun truck pictures...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:23 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
As some of you are aware, I will be re-classing to 88N in the upcoming months after 23 years of being an Infantryman. My schooling will be at Ft Eustis, VA., or as some people call it, "Fort Useless". I decided to check out their museum site and found a very large portion dedicated to Gun Trucks. I always thought they were just armored 2.5 and 5 ton trucks armed with many 50 cals. I was quite surprised to find many of these trucks loaded with old APC's on their backs. Was this more common than I thought? I'm guessing that all road wheels, torsion bars, eng/trans, were removed for weight purposes. This site had everything from up-armored jeeps and scout cars, to the more common trucks, but the APC's mounted on back really looked wild, if not awkward.
I'll be leaving for Eustis in about 1 month and I'll be posting a lot of pictures while I'm there.

#2: Re: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:05 am
    ----
Oh Looky! A Gavin Deuce 'n a half! Twisted Evil

<crash dive, prep for depthcharge attack!>

#3: Re: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:32 am
    ----
You have found the wheeled version of the Gavin that some people consider the prototype for the Stryker.

#4: Re: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:40 am
    ----
- bsmart
You have found the wheeled version of the Gavin that some people consider the prototype for the Stryker.

Come on Bob. Everyone is familiar with the M113A1A5-T !!!

Back when Iraq kicked off,....I remember a posting of a 5 ton truck with a M113 upper chassis.

Old ideas never die, they just get improved upon...( I guess?) Rolling Eyes

#5: Re: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:58 pm
    ----
- 68Barracuda
Oh Looky! A Gavin Deuce 'n a half! Twisted Evil

Hi 68 Barracuda! Hi Folks!

Not only NOT a Gavin, but not a Deuce 'n a half either.

That is a M-54 5 ton cargo truck. I don't think a Deuce 'n a half could stand up to having a M113 hull parked in it's cargo bed.

The 5 tons made for a better gun truck because they could stand up under the extra armor and ammo loads.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#6: Re: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:14 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
I found a few more with varying gunsystems and platforms. I've never seen many models of these in exisitance but there is a whole alphabet of them for viewing at the Ft Eustis museum web site. P.S. good to have you back with us again Doug.

#7: Re: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:29 pm
    ----
I know Roy...I was trying to get Don spun up! <evil laugh>

#8: Re: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:11 pm
    ----
- 68Barracuda
I know Roy...I was trying to get Don spun up! <evil laugh>

OH,....I SEE HOW YOU WANNA BE!! Laughing

I'm chillin' right now. Trying not to get into any 'trouble'. Cool

But tomorrow is another day! Wink

#9: Re: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:19 pm
    ----
Whassa matta Don...you "grounded" again? Forget Valentines day or sumpthin? See what happens when you go off and spend to much time with your green girlfriend! Laughing

#10: Re: Vietnam Gun truck pictures... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:09 am
    ----
- 68Barracuda
Whassa matta Don...you "grounded" again? Forget Valentines day or sumpthin? See what happens when you go off and spend to much time with your green girlfriend! Laughing

"HAHAHA...naw nothing like that. Cool

Just in a good mood, and can't be rattled.

Besides, I beat. Spent 8 hours on a tractor working my property. "Landscaping with a bucket loader...." Wink

Gotta get a work platform ready for the 'Texas Twins' Wink Mr. Green

-> AFV News Discussion Board