Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:35 am
    ----
..so don't come cryin' to me for it if we get stumped.

So, what is it? (from the old Patton Museum when I was there in '71)

Note: Denizens of the Patton Museum please abstain (unless we get stuck)

#2: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:42 am
    ----
Medium tank T5, Phase I, as SFC Button described below. The 37 mm gun turret armament was still in development when the tank was delivered, so a dummy gun was mounted in its place. This dummy was replaced by the twin 37 mm guns M2A1, with the assumption that they would also be replaced by the single 37 mm gun once it was available. The final switch never occured, though.

#3: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:58 am
    ----
[img][/img]
I believe the M2 tank above, due to the plates used for deflecting bullets into trenches as they are passed over by the tank. Also notice the USA number on these two tanks, W-30444 and W-30369, pretty close? Below is the info for the tank I posted in this response.
The plethora of machine guns arming the medium tank M2 is well illustrated here. Each corner of the fighting compartment, each side of the bow, and the sponson roof antiaircraft mounts all featured a .30cal MG. Bullet deflector plates were installed over the rear fenders. The idea behind these curious additions was that the tank could roll over a trench, and the rear sponson machine guns could then fire onto the plates and the fire would deflect into the trench or the area directly behind the tank.

#4: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:41 am
    ----
It's not an M2 per se, although the T5 became the M2 as you said in your other post. Also, the description of the picture is particularly well-written. Wink

#5: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:37 pm
    ----
In the recent thread about the LST building I think this is visible in the background inside that building

#6: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:15 am
    ----
So its an M5?. Am I correct in assuming that those angled plates on the rear were for ricocheting rounds down into treches being passed over?

#7: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:27 am
    ----
So....where is this lil' puppy now?

#8: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:18 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
So its an M5?. Am I correct in assuming that those angled plates on the rear were for ricocheting rounds down into treches being passed over?
No, it's the T5, Phase I. Back in the day, the Txx number rarely corresponded with the standardized Mxx number. For example, the medium tank T5 became the medium tank M2, and the medium tank T6 was the M4 Sherman prototype. The plates at the rear are for deflecting rounds into trenches.

#9: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:24 am
    ----
'So....where is this lil' puppy now?'

I'm pretty sure it's in the LST building at Knox. Dontos can probably confirm

#10: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:27 am
    ----
- bsmart

....hmmmm,....(scratching my ever growing gray hair...) Confused

I guess I need to pay a visit to update my fading memory. Perhaps a few new photos also?
Cool

#11: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:36 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- bsmart

....hmmmm,....(scratching my ever growing gray hair...) ?

I guess I need to pay a visit to update my fading memory. Perhaps a few new photos also?
Cool
Okay let's see if I can get myself in deeper hot water Smile

Port side about 1/2 way back from the bow (Hey it's a naval building lets use naval terms :-))

You mean you don't have a load plan for the LST. What happens if it hits rough weather! If Katrina had held it's strength when it moved up from the gulf coast think of the problems you could have had, I'll bet no one has checked the anchor in years and I know you don't have an anchor watch detailed!

#12: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:43 pm
    ----
Here you go:

Behind it is the M3 half-track tank destroyer.

Neil

#13: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:26 pm
    ----
AHHH. Okay.

Its reversed, thats why it didn't click. Cool

It has been awhile since I've been in the LST building.

BTW Bob: I did a load plan of the LST building a couple of years ago, but things have been moved around since...

Anchor? What Anchor.... WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' ANCHOR!!! Mr. Green

#14: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:17 pm
    ----
"Its reversed, thats why it didn't click."

Don - most tanks have this thing called a turret that can be used to point the guns in almost any direction. By the way how many Double barrelled tanks do you know of that it could be? I only know of one other

"I did a load plan of the LST building a couple of years ago, but things have been moved around since..."

I got it, for the Memorial Day show you're going to do an assault landing out of the LST building with a couple mixed companies charging out through the bow door Smile

#15: Re: Quiz question...(and I don't know the answer either....) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:23 pm
    ----
- Dontos
AHHH. Okay.

Its reversed, thats why it didn't click. Cool

Even I'll admit it looks kinda wierd with the turret reversed like that... Not quite clear which way is forward!

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board