[Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :(
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> Hardware

#31: Re: [Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:50 am
    ----
I know this is an old forum, but...

about a month ago I kept dropping my connection (at night, while online - it didnt matter) and I was having to go back in to my router and log on again (PPPOE)... ISP told me to buy a new modem... (tier 3 tech support at AT&T told me my dsl was hottest he ever saw - I am 2 blocks from node/substation... said my old modem was not designed for the speeds I was getting)..

Went and picked up a 4100b speed stream as per AT&T needs... everything was fine.

Now (a couple weeks later), I have gone from 6000 kbps to 54 kbps... on com-centrals bandwidth test.

I've checked all my cables, filters, replaced wires that I could,
done all the other stuff, clean reg,cache, spybot, adaware, checked for malware, yada - yada... forums seem to point to a problem with synch?...

I changed log in to the modem (ran straight modem for a while - no difference in bandwidth) and then changed router to auto dhcp and kept log in on modem....

Pinging www. yahoo.com:
PING www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net (69.147.114.210): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 69.147.114.210: icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=26.3 ms
64 bytes from 69.147.114.210: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=26.8 ms
64 bytes from 69.147.114.210: icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=26.0 ms
--- www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 40% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 26.0/26.3/26.8 ms

I am lost....

any help appreciated!

Slow (really slow Sad Sad Sad )

looks like the funnel is from modem to 'puter" See Modem stats:
Connection Information

DSL UP
Connection UP
User ID [email protected]
Connected at 4192 Kbps (downstream)
768 Kbps (upstream)
IP Address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
IP Gateway xxx.xxx.x.xx
DNS Servers xxxxxxxxxx sbcglobal.net
xxxxxxxxxx sbcglobal.net
Mode PPP on the modem (Public IP for LAN device)
Timeout Never
Modem Information
Modem Name SpeedStream
Model 4100
Serial Number 20018D18C836D
Software Version 1.0.0.63
MAC Address 00:18:D1:8C:83:6D
First Use Date 2007/11/23 13:46:48 GMT
Local Network
Modem IP Address 192.168.0.1
Ethernet Status Connected

????????????????????

Gonnnner try some router modem separation.....

didnt think this was quite looong enough, I am also dropping my connection, oh say, every couple minutes now! ARGGGGH!

#32: Re: [Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:39 am
    ----
- HF_SlowHand

--- www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 40% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 26.0/26.3/26.8 ms

This is going to increase your overheads dramatically, any packet loss is going to degrade your speed as the same info is having to be sent again there by slowing your speed.

I presume it's ADSL, I would be initially checking for 'noise' on the line, DSL don't like noisy connections.

Why is there a second posting below in a smaller font...

#33: Re: [Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:09 pm
    ----
? Second posting? Dont see it Kit.... thanks - I will be rewiring and seperating everything today... fingers crossed (I would like to know what changed in the last month to make it go belly up)...

#34: Re: [Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:23 pm
    ----
I'm not talking about computer wiring.

I mean the main cables coming into the house, you need to listen to your line without the dial tone being present.

I don't know what the US telephone network is like, but over here in the UK when a phone is left off-hook, there is a 'howler' generated on the line to alert people that the phone is not replaced correctly, if you have a similar system, wait for the 'howler' to stop and then listen to the telephone earpiece to see if you can hear crackling noises on the line. That's a sure sign of packet loss and line drops.

If you can hear noise on the line and you have any telephone extensions in the house disconnect them and see if the noise goes away, that will tell you if the fault is internal or external to your house.

-> Hardware