MV-22 Osprey Update
-> Officer's Club

#1: MV-22 Osprey Update Author: Sabre45Location: West Texas PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:50 am
    ----
Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 263 will be formally activated Friday (March 3, 2006) with 250 people and nine aircraft.

The 263 Squadron was known during the Vietnam war as the 'Thunder Chickens'.

Unit is expected to deploy to a combat zone within one year of it's activition.

Associated Press article by Ester Thompson.

Last edited by Sabre45 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: MX-22 Osprey Update Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:36 am
    ----
Hey Sabre45, is that Avatar of yours a F86 Sabre? Its small so its ahrd for me to tell. Are you a Sabre fan?

#3: Re: MX-22 Osprey Update Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:48 am
    ----
Looks more like an F100, methinks...

#4: Re: MX-22 Osprey Update Author: Sabre45Location: West Texas PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:57 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Hey Sabre45, is that Avatar of yours a F86 Sabre? Its small so its ahrd for me to tell. Are you a Sabre fan?

Not a F86, check out the wing position. On the F-86, the wings are about 1/3 of the way back from the nose. On that aircraft the wings are almost centered between the nose and tail.

Doug called it, that is a F-100. The down sizing so it would fit does make it a bit hard to see.

The F-100 is my favorite Century Series Jet Fighter.

Quiz for you all, name the Century Series Aircraft, I will get you started with the first one which was the F-100.

#5: Re: MX-22 Osprey Update Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:10 pm
    ----
F100 Sup.Sab., F101 Voodoo, F102 Delta Dart, F104 Starfighter, F105 T'Chief, F106 Delta Dagger (or I may have Dart and Dagger reversed).

Also, there was the F107 proto., a sexed up F100 with inlet above the pilot, but never saw production.

#6: Re: MX-22 Osprey Update Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:44 pm
    ----
Sabre45, did you see my thread below on Chuck Yeagers F-100F? Here is a great site to visit if you love F-100's, go to www.supersabre.com. A man named Peter Rob runs the site and is absolutly nuts over F100's. He is even building his own museum/tribute to the bird. He has some of my research posted there with numerous pictures. My personal favorite Century Fighter is the F-105D Thunderchief.

#7: Re: MX-22 Osprey Update Author: Sabre45Location: West Texas PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:46 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
F100 Sup.Sab., F101 Voodoo, F102 Delta Dart, F104 Starfighter, F105 T'Chief, F106 Delta Dagger (or I may have Dart and Dagger reversed).

Also, there was the F107 proto., a sexed up F100 with inlet above the pilot, but never saw production.

Those be them, and you do have the name of the Dart before the Dagger. Hard to tell those two aircraft apart.

Not sure the F107 is counted as a member of that team.

#8: Re: MX-22 Osprey Update Author: Sabre45Location: West Texas PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:52 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Sabre45, did you see my thread below on Chuck Yeagers F-100F? Here is a great site to visit if you love F-100's, go to www.supersabre.com. A man named Peter Rob runs the site and is absolutly nuts over F100's. He is even building his own museum/tribute to the bird. He has some of my research posted there with numerous pictures. My personal favorite Century Fighter is the F-105D Thunderchief.

Yes Jeff, saw your thread. Nice story, to bad the end turned out the way it did.

Thanks for the F100 site link. For somereason it doesn't work from the Boss' computer. Will have to try it from home.

F-105 Thunderchief. Nice heavy weight, reminds me of the P-47 some what. I take it, you know why Vietnam era vets call it the Thud?

#9: Re: MV-22 Osprey Update Author: Sabre45Location: West Texas PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:43 am
    ----
Small Update to my first post.

By Lance Cpl. Samuel D. White, Marine Corps News Service.

VMM-263 was a CH-46E Sea Knight squadron that stood down in June of 2005.

MMT-262 (Marine Medium Tiltrotor) is based at MCAS New River, N.C.
That name is a bit confuzing. That name was used the first time in the article, but then all the following times, the old VMM (Marine Medium Helicopter) name is used.

Will be part of the 2nd MAW.

Per Gen. Michael W. Hagee, 33rd Commandant, "it's the safest aircraft in our inventroy. It's been tested and proven ready to perform."
"We are committing the Osprey to the gun fight." Confused

-> Officer's Club