Need some extra storage?
-> Hardware

#1: Need some extra storage? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:55 pm
    ----
WHOA!! How about a portable 1TB (That's TERABYTE) USB 2.0 or Firewire storage HD's set up in raid?

Storage or making backups of your current HD's or projects, this thing is cool!

You have to check this out. While it's not cheap... about 1000.00 US $, it'll be a while before you run out of space..lol

Click HERE!

#2: Re: Need some extra storage? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:17 am
    ----
I put 2 x 80Gb Maxtor DiamondMax9's in my build 2 years ago this month. I have 111Gb still free despite all the gaming add-ons (including all the IL2 stuff I must remember to un-install), music files, and artwork I use it for.
1 Tb?!?!?!?
Maybe in time for Vista.
lol

#3: Re: Need some extra storage? Author: Hangman PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:48 am
    ----
I've got a combined 240gb of storage and I'm at about 60% free...I would say music & photos take up the most...the largest game I have is about 5 gb...that kind of setup would be ideal for someone who does alot of video work...

#4: Re: Need some extra storage? Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:54 am
    ----
I'm at 660 gig right now and planning on putting another 2 - 250gig sata drives in lol

That would put me at 1160gig I think that will hold me off for a bit lol

I also have another system I will be using as a server later on Smile Smile Smile

#5: Re: Need some extra storage? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:48 am
    ----
Oh Bushyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

It's already redundant.

#6: Re: Need some extra storage? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:18 am
    ----
ROFLMAO Shades...

Forget about that puny terabyte RAID system you just set up. If you want to be on the cutting edge in storage, you need to start thinking in petabytes. And if you're ready for that level of storage, there's now someplace to get it: EMC has launched its first petabyte array, a version of the company's flagship Symmetrix DMX-3 system that includes nine room-filling cabinets of drives. The Symmetrix DMX-3 system is built around 500GB drives; the petabyte version includes a whopping 2,400 of them and goes for about $4 million. Of course, if your needs are more modest, you can always opt for one of EMC's "entry level" systems; a two-cabinet version that will give you a mere 480TB of storage is available for just $250,000. But if you're into, say, NSA-level data mining, want to challenge the Wayback Machine, or just want bragging rights, a full PB is the only way to go.

I'm going out on a limb here in saying...it might be a tad out of my league price wise...lol.

Really though, HD prices have come down quite a bit in price this past year with 250GB internal SATA drives close to the $100.00 US range and EIDE drives are cheaper than that, everyone should have enough internal space now... Wink

I think the portable HD's in USB or Firewire configs are going to be the next big thing. Computer users have always needed ways to move, backup or store large archives and since prices are coming down, getting one of these could well fit into the budget of small business' or gamers like us. I'm also quite sure most of us here who build our own machines will be figuring out how to built one these in the future...

-> Hardware