T92 light tank kit on Ebay...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:07 pm
    ----
The Sherdian book I linked to above is only $50.

#17: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:10 pm
    ----
Look on abebooks.com

I just went out there and searched for R.P. Hunnicutt

Sheridan, Bradley, Armored Cars, Halftrack were all available multiple times in the $50 range. Now some vendors were asking upto $100+ for them but there were 3 pages (about 60 items) under that mark.

There were a couple Pershings in the $250 range and Firepower, Patton, Abrams in the $400 range

I JUST NOTICED ONE PATTON for $262.50!!!

I think over 300 for Sherman is too high, (Actually I think anything above $250 is too high for any of the books in the series but I payed in that range for a couple of mine) There are copies of Sherman out there, it is by far the biggest seller and was reprinted a couple times.

Just my opinion

#18: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:29 pm
    ----
I'm feelin' pretty darn good about that copy of Hunicutt's "Patton" I copped slightly used for $25 at the now-defunct Cosmic Aeroplane bookstore (Salt Lake City) in the '80's!

#19: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:02 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
I'm feelin' pretty darn good about that copy of Hunicutt's "Patton" I copped slightly used for $25 at the now-defunct Cosmic Aeroplane bookstore (Salt Lake City) in the '80's!

Maybe, maybe not

that would be about a 10 to 1 return on investment. I would have to pull dig out some old investment books to figure it mathematicaly, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has the calculations handier so

What would be the compund interest required to turn a $25 investment into a $250 investment in 20 years?

Or another way Walmart stock was about $3.00 a share in 1985. It is now 45.00 a share that is 15-1 so your $25 would be worth $375. Of course Walmart is down from it's high of ~$70 a share in 2000

Exxon Mobil was about $5.00 a share in the mid 80s. Now $60+. Your $25.00 would be $300+ and I know they have had some pretty good dividends during that time that aren't figured in.

McDonalds was about $2.50 back then. Today about $34. So your $25.00 would be $340. Of course in 2000 it was ~$50 a share ($500!!) but in '03 was ~12.50 ($125 :-()

Of course there is also GM - ~$30 in themid 80s, $22.00 now Rolling Eyes

So maybe you did okay after all

Just trying to put some perspective on long term numbers

#20: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:12 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- JG300-Ascout

Maybe, maybe not

that would be about a 10 to 1 return on investment. So maybe you did okay after all

Just trying to put some perspective on long term numbers

Bob,
Well, trying not to rub it in, I neglected to mention my free, new copies of "Sheridan" and "Bradley" 3-4 years ago. Mr. Green (...free to me, anyway...gift from the spousal unit...)

Where is that "gleeful rubbing of hands" emoticon I've been asking for?

#21: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:36 pm
    ----
Dont buy Hunnicutt's off abebooks. They usually sell on Ebay for something thats only slightly outrageous, as opposed to totally outrageous on abebooks.

Neil

#22: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:17 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Dont buy Hunnicutt's off abebooks. They usually sell on Ebay for something thats only slightly outrageous, as opposed to totally outrageous on abebooks.

Neil
I've got to disagree with such broad statements. Both have their advantages. It took me almost six months on Ebay to get Stuart & would have taken at least as long for Patton. The idea is to use both to figure out what the going rate is and decide if your time is worth the pain and agony of trying to buy through an auction where it appears others have better 'reaction times' and having something slip through your fingers by someone who has a 'system' in place only to see it show back up a week later with a higher minimum.

#23: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:24 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout

Bob,
Well, trying not to rub it in, I neglected to mention my free, new copies of "Sheridan" and "Bradley" 3-4 years ago. Mr. Green (...free to me, anyway...gift from the spousal unit...)

Where is that "gleeful rubbing of hands" emoticon I've been asking for?

Several of my Hunnicutts and several of my Friedman books came as gifts from wife and mother who were finally convinced that I really didn't want some new gadget, car accessory, etc for Christmas or Birthday.

And the one thing that can't figure into the alternative investments is the pleasure of reading or referencing a book like Hunnicutt's (or the bragging rights Wink )

#24: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:52 am
    ----
- bsmart
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil
I've got to disagree with such broad statements. Both have their advantages. It took me almost six months on Ebay to get Stuart & would have taken at least as long for Patton. The idea is to use both to figure out what the going rate is and decide if your time is worth the pain and agony of trying to buy through an auction where it appears others have better 'reaction times' and having something slip through your fingers by someone who has a 'system' in place only to see it show back up a week later with a higher minimum.

Certainly, it can take longer waiting for a copy on Ebay. However, I wouldnt consider the abebooks prices the going market value for Hunnicutts. It currently has Pershing copies listed for $230+, while a copy just went on Ebay for half that. Sherman is listed for $380, while I got my copy for less than half that on Ebay. You have to be a little patient, but most copies are available about once a month or two. I have abebooks set to notify me whenever a Hunnicutt comes available, but as yet there hasnt been one I'd take up. Conversely right now I'm only missing Stuart, Firepower & Half-Track (just havent gotten around to it). Except for the newer ones - Sheridan & Armored Car - I've gotten the rest (Sherman, Patton & Abrams) off Ebay... And never spent more than $200...

Neil

#25: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:19 am
    ----
When I was shopping for my copies there were two people that were attempting to buy every Hunnicutt that came on the market at a reasonable price then turn around and put themon their 'store' for a significant amount more. At one point I suspected that they were actually the same person (They very seldom got into a bidding war against each other). I finally sent a message to one of them and said something like 'Once I get my copy of Stuart I've finished my set and will be out of your hair' He sent a message back that he wouldn't bid on that one since he 'had enough Stuarts already' That was a couple years ago and I got Stuart for $258 (Don't tell my wife I think she suspects it was expensive but I don't think she knows HOW expensive)

#26: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:05 pm
    ----
This might interest you guys:

cgi.ebay.com/Stuart-by...dZViewItem

"Stuart" for $72

Incidentally, I'm bidding on the Sheridan book for $25. Don't make me pay more than I need to!

#27: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:57 pm
    ----
- Hellfish6
This might interest you guys

http//cgi.ebay.com/Stuart-by-R-P-Hunnicutt-1992_W0QQitemZ4636320205QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Stuart" for $72

Incidentally, I'm bidding on the Sheridan book for $25. Don't make me pay more than I need to!
Don't worry I don't have a dog in that fight. But if the bidding follows the form I ran into there won't be any serious bids until an hour or less before it closes and then it will skyrocket. Just figure where your point of pain is and do it late.

For the Sheriden just remember that you can still get it new at Amazon for $50.40 and have free shipping.

#28: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:58 pm
    ----
I'm keeping it in the back of my mind for sure. But If I can weasel out of ebay with less than $30 spent, so much the better. Smile

#29: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:43 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- Hellfish6
This might interest you guys

http//cgi.ebay.com/Stuart-by-R-P-Hunnicutt-1992_W0QQitemZ4636320205QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Stuart" for $72

Don't worry I don't have a dog in that fight. But if the bidding follows the form I ran into there won't be any serious bids until an hour or less before it closes and then it will skyrocket. Just figure where your point of pain is and do it late.

For the Sheriden just remember that you can still get it new at Amazon for $50.40 and have free shipping.

...and even that might not be enough. A source who helps me execute the occasional eBay purchase uses a "sniper" program that permits the user to specify a maximum bid and a "last minute" bid just above the last offer automatically to submit an offer for an item just before the bid expires. This puts the manual method at a disadvantage where "professionals" are bidding on highly sought after items.

#30: Re: For those interested - T92 light tank kit on Ebay... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:17 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

...and even that might not be enough. A source who helps me execute the occasional eBay purchase uses a "sniper" program that permits the user to specify a maximum bid and a "last minute" bid just above the last offer automatically to submit an offer for an item just before the bid expires. This puts the manual method at a disadvantage where "professionals" are bidding on highly sought after items.

I rest my case.

But I wonder what happens when multiple 'sniper' programs try to put in last minute bids just after everyone elses last minute bids. Rolling Eyes

-> AFV News Discussion Board