Production variant Stryker MGS photos
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:54 pm
    ----
In 1986, when I went to my first NTC rotation, we took our M-1's. The live fire portion was a real blast ( Rolling Eyes opps sorry) We were issued service HEAT and "Willie Pete" ammo that was being rotated out of stock.

HEP had the requirement to be stored upright as the explosive filler (like C4?) would melt and settle on the bottom thus causing a 'wobble' as the round spun in flight. Thus we were never issued it in the M-1's or the IPM-1's.

In Korea, in 1991 I had 6 rounds of Beehive. Only place that it was issued, back then. That was the heaviest 105mm round I had ever lifted/carried.

Ah, the good ol days....

#17: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:59 pm
    ----
Had to re-think this one, the M1/M1IP could not fire white phosperous rounds like I indicated above. The Abrams did not have vertical storage rounds and WP had to be stored upright. Sorry for the error.

#18: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:12 pm
    ----
- Sabot
Yes the 105mm had a beehive round. Even the M1IP I trained on still had a selection for beehive. The four ammo types the old M1 had was HEP, HEAT, APDS (sabot), and APERS (Anti-personnel or beehive). WP was fired using the HEP selection. Never fired anything on the M1 besides HEAT and sabot though.

Thanks, Rob....it's nice to know I still have a few neurons still functioning! Laughing

#19: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:07 pm
    ----
Yes the 105mm had a beehive round. Even the M1IP I trained on still had a selection for beehive. The four ammo types the old M1 had was HEP, HEAT, APDS (sabot), and APERS (Anti-personnel or beehive). WP was fired using the HEP selection. Never fired anything on the M1 besides HEAT and sabot though.

#20: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:57 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
That looks a serious piece of kit....they got a canister round for that?

www.globalsecurity.org.../m1040.htm

"XM1040 105mm Anti-personnel (canister)

"Anti-personnel (canister) ammunition, XM1040, will provide the Stryker Mobile Gun System [MGS] with the capability to effectively provide rapid, lethal fire against massed assaulting infantry at close range (500 meters or less). The cartridge is intended to be a simple, low-cost, low-technology cartridge, similar in concept to a shotgun shell. There are no cartridges that meet this requirement in the current inventory. Development begins in FY03 and will leverage technology with the 120mm, XM1028 canister cartridge program."

www.dtic.mil/descripti...03639A.pdf

"This munition will be capable of suppressing dismounted infantry assaults in close / restricted terrain...Like the XM1028, the XM1040 canister
cartridge is envisioned to be similar in concept to a shotgun shell, expelling the payload upon muzzle exit. Unlike previous anti-personnel tank cartridges, the XM1040 will have no fuze and is intended to be a simple, low cost, low-technology cartridge."

Looks like production was expected to start this year - not sure if it has yet...

Neil

#21: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:51 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

it's been a long time.... Rolling Eyes

Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

Tell me about, I am having a major problem with what I keep thinking I read in a newspaper only back in 1984, the year my daughter was born! Shocked Razz Sad

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#22: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:50 pm
    ----
Just found this:

(http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/m1040.htm)

XM1040 105mm Anti-personnel (canister)

Anti-personnel (canister) ammunition, XM1040, will provide the Stryker Mobile Gun System [MGS] with the capability to effectively provide rapid, lethal fire against massed assaulting infantry at close range (500 meters or less). The cartridge is intended to be a simple, low-cost, low-technology cartridge, similar in concept to a shotgun shell. There are no cartridges that meet this requirement in the current inventory. Development begins in FY03 and will leverage technology with the 120mm, XM1028 canister cartridge program.

#23: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:44 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
- Doug_Kibbey

Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

I would think it has the same types of ammo the M60 MBTs had except for the SABOT round.

Any of you ex-M60 crewmen remember if the 105 had a can round?

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

We did...I think we called it "beehive"...or was that the 90mm in the M48? Crap, it's been a long time.... Rolling Eyes

#24: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:39 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

I would think it has the same types of ammo the M60 MBTs had except for the SABOT round.

Any of you ex-M60 crewmen remember if the 105 had a can round?

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#25: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:20 pm
    ----

#26: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 pm
    ----
photos.kitmaker.net/in...hp/cat/517

The site is down for server maintenance, but the gallery is still operational. Here is a sample.

#27: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Andrei PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:19 am
    ----
---Our apologies but the gallery is temorarily closed for repairs.

Can someone repost?

#28: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:51 am
    ----
SSG Sargent posted some photos ...

Is he any relation to Major Major?

#29: Re: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:16 am
    ----
- Sabot
SSG Sargent posted some photos of the production version of the Stryker Mobile Gun System at Armorama: photos.kitmaker.net/sh.../cat/16140

How long before Trumpeter makes one?

Super! Thanks Sabot!

The site seams to be down for repairs.

Both PMMS and Great Models are saying "2nd half of 2006" for a ICV which I take to mean July! Razz

Sure hope so away.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#30: Production variant Stryker MGS photos Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:20 pm
    ----
SSG Sargent posted some photos of the production version of the Stryker Mobile Gun System at Armorama: photos.kitmaker.net/sh.../cat/16140

How long before Trumpeter makes one?

-> AFV News Discussion Board