New wingy quiz...
-> Officer's Club

#1: New wingy quiz... Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:34 am
    ----
[img][/img]
Can any of you guys tell me what this is. I will let you know tomarrow night.

#2: Re: New wingy quiz... Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:18 am
    ----
It's a want to be helicopter, that's what it is Smile

I couldn't tell you the name of it, but I've seen it before. The pilot stears by shifting his weight on the platform. That would be really unstable though, and unlike the Segway, it doesn't have a computer to autobalance...

#3: Re: New wingy quiz... Author: NS38th_AristaeusLocation: Pensacola, FL. PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:12 am
    ----
~S~ All
Can you imagine the fit the safety freaks would have if the Army tried this contraption today lol.
I can hear this guys sarge now, Quite ur whineing and get the Hxxx up there lol.
By the way that weapon looks diff anybody know what it is?

#4: Re: New wingy quiz... Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:56 am
    ----
Shocked

Sumthing like a flying meatgrinder as it looks to me, imagine the fella slips on the platform he's standing on.................straight in to the meathacker................ gulp, not a pretty tought Confused

And indeed as previous speaker said, the nowadays safety geeks would have a fit by the sight of this "thingy"

About the firearm he's carrying, looks like a standard rifle with a flashlight attached to the side of it, ..................mmmmmmmmmmmm........maybe he went wabbit 'unting with it ?? Wink

As for the name.......................anyones guess is better as mine Laughing

great find lil' J

fled

#5: Re: New wingy quiz... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:58 am
    ----
A shredder....lol

Guess that's one way to get rid of the "cannon fodder"...:D

Great pic, but I have no idea who came up with it. From the way the person is dressed, I would think it was a military project. Doesn't look like it 'took off'...(Snickering....I love puns..lol)

#6: Re: New wingy quiz... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:39 pm
    ----
This, I believe, is the De Lackner DH-5 Aerocycle....a dangerous forerunner to the equally ill-conceived, but less lethal Hiller VZ-1 Pawnee. There is an nice webpage on all the "flying platforms" with some history here:

www.vectorsite.net/avplatfm.html

On a side note, I've seen film of the Hiller versions...it was all the operator could do to get off a single shot without upsetting the craft from the recoil of an M14 and then having to grab for the bars to regain control. Any movement at all upset the vehicle and it required constant attention to maintain hover or stable flight. And of course, you present quite a target to the enemy with no abilty to return fire. Excellent. Rolling Eyes

Those of you into flight simming know of about "Unreal Aviation" over at Hovercontrol and the downloadable model of one of these things, along with jetpacks and the like. It's free, and has flight characteristics not (unsurprizingly) unlike the Bell 206 as it's flight model. Wink

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: New wingy quiz... Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:34 pm
    ----
I think the name should be Queezenard, for the job it'll do to the operator if he makes a mistake. Forgive me if I spelled it wrong, but you get the idea anyway.

#8: Re: New wingy quiz... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:08 pm
    ----
I guess the answer to the weapon is the T48, here is the write up from under the picture.
The Delackner Aerocycle was tested in 1956. It used a four-cylinder, 43 HP, water-cooled engine to turn counter-rotating blades...if you look closely, you'll notice COL(R) Sundby is standing on top of rotating rotor blades! The operator could move vertically by using the bicycle-like handle bars to control the speed of the blades, and could move horizontally by leaning forward, backward, and to the sides. The aerocycle is on display inside the main building (Fort Eustis).

-> Officer's Club