Seven-Ninety-Nine at Pep Boys!!!!!
-> Officer's Club

#1: Seven-Ninety-Nine at Pep Boys!!!!! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:50 am
    ----
This is SO good I gotta share it!

Right now while supplies last, you can get the absolute latest in 8-ball shifter knob technology at the all-time shrine of high-tek gearhed stuff, Pep Boys...for only $7.99! That's like, what you'd pay at McD's for a Double Quarter Pounder, biggie size fries and drink, a 5-piece Chicken SelectsTM and a Choco shake!

What's even better is that those resourceful and intrepid engineers of automotive technology - Manny, Moe and Jack - have designed this to be a universal fit to most any shifter, lever, stick or protrusion of any kind located inside your vehicle. Close examination reveals they achieve this by a series of slightly smaller, tapering threads inside the mounting lug, formed by some type of space-age material that is both firm and resilient yet slightly pliable enough to conform to different thread sizes and spacings (I suspect it's plastic)...clever!!!!

Skeptical at first, I installed it in my car about a week ago and discovered that it falls readily to hand, is extemely solid in its mounting characteristics, remains slightly warm even on cold winter mornings (the formed aluminum T-handle I was running with was freezin' my fingers off) stands up to all kinds of tire-barking abuse, plus...it's stylish and modern, meaning chicks dig it!

Works just fine on a Hurst Competition Plus shifter (Ascout!) and would work equally as well on a backhoe or bulldozer (Hoppa!) a new Mazda (EXOS!) or any other kind o'vehicle.....a 3-on-the-tree shifter in a '62 Chevy pickup, Steering-cullumn-mounted shift lever of a 1989 Olds Cutlass Calais, a Citroen or Subura, whatever!!!

Dang near as cool as the universal-mount steering wheel "speed knob" that was sitting next to it on the rack....but I left that one for fr9ycat! Wink

#2: Re: Seven-Ninety-Nine at Pep Boys!!!!! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:05 pm
    ----
*Places order for furry dice and charges to Stoop's account.

#3: Re: Seven-Ninety-Nine at Pep Boys!!!!! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:06 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

(I suspect it's plastic)...clever!!!!

Works just fine on a Hurst Competition Plus shifter (Ascout!) and would work equally as well on a backhoe or bulldozer (Hoppa!) a new Mazda (EXOS!) or any other kind o'vehicle.....a 3-on-the-tree shifter in a '62 Chevy pickup, Steering-cullumn-mounted shift lever of a 1989 Olds Cutlass Calais, a Citroen or Subura, whatever!!!

Dang near as cool as the universal-mount steering wheel "speed knob" that was sitting next to it on the rack....but I left that one for fr9ycat! Wink

Stoopy, I'm intrigued...tell me more about this newly-developed space-age polymer you called plastic...do you think the Russkis have a program for this wonder material on-going yet?!

Do you suppose one of these would mount in a 2000 Plymouth(!) Neon?...I'm thinking the wife would go ga-ga over this....

That speed-knob thing woulda' lookin beechin' in yer 'Stang...can't believe you passed that up...

and what's with "Fr8ycat"...did he get a promotion to level 9?...and how do you pronounce "Fr9ycat", anyway? Confused

#4: Re: Seven-Ninety-Nine at Pep Boys!!!!! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:10 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Stoopy, I'm intrigued...tell me more about this newly-developed space-age polymer you called plastic...do you think the Russkis have a program for this wonder material on-going yet?!

Do you suppose one of these would mount in a 2000 Plymouth(!) Neon?...I'm thinking the wife would go ga-ga over this....

That speed-knob thing woulda' lookin beechin' in yer 'Stang...can't believe you passed that up...

and what's with "Fr8ycat"...did he get a promotion to level 9?...and how do you pronounce "Fr9ycat", anyway? Confused

Ascout, the material inside the mounting lug (which, I forgot to add, is chromed!) is something I can't quit figure out. It looks semi-malleable like a hardwood, but it's not wood....yet it's tough and resilient like metal, but it's not metal. If I get my snout real close to it, there's some kind of slight scent to it that makes me want to try chewing on it - a lot like the electronical wires behind my computer. Strangest dang stuff!

Oh, it's universal, man, as far as mounting. It'd work just fine in your better half's Neon...any Chrysler product, I'm sure. Would also likely mount on, and look quite sty'lish, on the throttle lever of a Bf-109 or FW-190, the emergency canopy release of a Spitfire, the charging handle of a Browning M-2, whatever's at hand, really.

They only had the one speed knob, and if I go that route I'm gonna do it right and have dual speed knobs at the 10 and 2 o'clock position. Safety first! What could be more beechin' than that eh? Not even fr9ycat, fr8ycat, or heck, even a fr8y10cat could do better than that, I'm thinkin'!

Plus, the shifter knob was slightly cheaper than the speed knob, so.....

#5: Re: Seven-Ninety-Nine at Pep Boys!!!!! Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:50 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
What's even better is that those resourceful and intrepid engineers of automotive technology - Manny, Moe and Jack - have designed this to be a universal fit to most any shifter, lever, stick or protrusion of any kind located inside your vehicle.

I'll save this reply for Kitty's.

#6: Re: Seven-Ninety-Nine at Pep Boys!!!!! Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:58 pm
    ----
- fr8ycat
- JG300-Stoopy
What's even better is that those resourceful and intrepid engineers of automotive technology - Manny, Moe and Jack - have designed this to be a universal fit to most any shifter, lever, stick or protrusion of any kind located inside your vehicle.

I'll save this reply for Kitty's.

Awww. please, no pictures...LOL

#7: Re: Seven-Ninety-Nine at Pep Boys!!!!! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:31 pm
    ----
OK, OK, so it isn't THAT universal......for what you're thinkin' of, I'd consider spending a bit more than $7.99 for.......at least something equivalent to dinner AND a movie!

-> Officer's Club