Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:18 pm
    ----
Thats Classic Military Vehicle magazine. It will be in the May issue, due out 14 April.

"ONTOS
"'Ontos' means 'the thing' in Greek and, with six 106mm recoilless rifles, you could say that this was the biggest shotgun in the world, albeit one with an armoured hull. Designed as a fast tank buster, Ontos was deployed with US Marines from 1956 until 1970, putting in some sterling service in Vietnam. David Doyle tells the complete story."

Here's a link:
www.cmvmag.co.uk/cgi-b...next-month

Neil

#2: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:43 pm
    ----
COOL!! I look forward to seeing it!! Thanks for the heads up.

(Critical review to follow...HAHAHA. Just Kidding)

I hope that I have had a positive impact on raising the knowledge level on this vehicle.

Once I'm 'done' here, I guess I need to find another obscure vehicle to 'dig' up. Guess I need to do some 'homework' on my next 'pet' project.

#3: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.. Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:31 pm
    ----
I'd like to see an informative video on DVD or VHS about the Ontos with maybe some footage of it operating in combat and a walk-through on surving vehicles.

Just a thought!

#4: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:35 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Thats Classic Military Vehicle magazine. It will be in the May issue, due out 14 April.

"ONTOS
"'Ontos' means 'the thing' in Greek and, with six 106mm recoilless rifles, you could say that this was the biggest shotgun in the world, albeit one with an armoured hull. Designed as a fast tank buster, Ontos was deployed with US Marines from 1956 until 1970, putting in some sterling service in Vietnam. David Doyle tells the complete story."

Here's a link:
www.cmvmag.co.uk/cgi-b...next-month

Neil

...and as a bonus:

"BSA M20 MOTORCYCLE
During the war years, the British motorcycle industry constructed 425,000 military motorcycles and the 500cc BSA M20 was one of the most numerous. By todays standards it is a pretty primitive machine but, as Gareth Crew discovers, it was popular with more than a few despatch riders and went on to carve out a post-war sporting career."

I might have to subscribe to this rag..... Wink (Ooops, can't...they don't seem to come to the "colonies"....)

#5: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:49 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

I might have to subscribe to this rag..... Wink (Ooops, can't...they don't seem to come to the "colonies"....)

Actually, they do. I am a subscriber, got the new "April" issue on Monday - so they seemed to be mailed in a timely fashion. Though I guess its a bit costly to subscribe for a year - about $86.

Just go to the subscriptions page to sign up:
www.cmvmag.co.uk/cgi-b...mp;mag=CMV

I first stumbled upon this mag, as well as Military Machines International, at a local bookstore.

www.modelactivitypress...onthly.htm

Neil

#6: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.. Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:27 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
I'd like to see an informative video on DVD or VHS about the Ontos with maybe some footage of it operating in combat and a walk-through on surving vehicles.

Just a thought!

Hmmmm....Perhaps you have an idea there. Cool

#7: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:42 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- JeffStringer

Just a thought!

I have a feeling we're being set up.... Wink

#8: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.. Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:57 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos
- JeffStringer

Just a thought!

I have a feeling we're being set up.... Wink

HUH? No I just thought after watching some clips of the Ontos in action on the History Channel yesterday, boy ... it sure would be nice to see more of it up close!

That's all. Wink

Last edited by JeffStringer on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.. Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:00 pm
    ----
But, I DO own a DVD recorder and video camera! Mr. Green

#10: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.. Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:09 am
    ----
OK, nice looking magazine, but for those of us colonials who don't like international ordering, is there a US outlet? Thanks in advance.

#11: Re: Don - CMV will have an article on the Ontos next month.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:22 am
    ----
- binder001
OK, nice looking magazine, but for those of us colonials who don't like international ordering, is there a US outlet? Thanks in advance.

I think I was able to find them in Borders...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board