Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncommon?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncommon? Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:51 pm
    ----
Hi Guys-
Still researching the BR-52. I have yet to find pictures of a BR-52 with the Trumpeter type smoke deflectors. That may not be anything to worry about as there are not a great amount of war time photos of BR-52s out there. I have found alot of great sites with good technical info on the BR-52 without seeing any pictures of the Trumpeter type smoke deflectors. Much mention has been made of the smoke deflectors on various forums without giving a clear picture as to just how common or uncommon they actually were. I would be willing to bet that some after market company will address this issue by providing us with the more commonly seen smoke deflectors. Trouble is, any after market smoke deflectors will most likely be included in an enormous p/e set that will cost an enormous amount of money with a staggering amount of parts that I'll never use all of! Obviously, there are two options here, one would be to just leave the smoke deflectors off as there are alot of pictures of BR-52s minus the deflectors. The other option would be to scratch build our own deflectors as some of them appear to be quite simplistic in shape.
With thanks-
Geoff Steer [;-{/)

#2: Re: Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncommon? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:39 pm
    ----
Geoff,

I recall seeing mention somewhere that certain bits of the Trump BR52 are actually postwar (Chinese?) mods. Not certain that the smoke deflectors are such mods, but there is a tiny voice in the back of my memory that insists that they were specifically mentioned. I'm sorry, but I don't remember where I saw that conversation (ML, maybe?).

C

#3: Re: Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncommon? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:16 pm
    ----
Geoff,

apparently the smoke deflectors provided by Trumpeter were a pre-production thingy or something along those lines, you're safe with either leaving them off or scratching the more common Witte deflectors.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#4: Re: Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncommon? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:20 pm
    ----
S!

As far as my info goes none of the BR-52's where fitted with the smoke deflectors at delivery during the war period, they would use valuable resources (material) and that's something they wanted to save on.

So most likely all the ones shown with smoke deflectors are post-war adaptations.

Problem is no one can be for a 100% shure as the info regarding this locomotives is to say the least rather sparse.

fled

#5: Re: Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncommon? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:29 pm
    ----
- Uhu_Fledermaus
S!

As far as my info goes none of the BR-52's where fitted with the smoke deflectors at delivery during the war period, they would use valuable resources (material) and that's something they wanted to save on.

So most likely all the ones shown with smoke deflectors are post-war adaptations.

Problem is no one can be for a 100% shure as the info regarding this locomotives is to say the least rather sparse.

chug
fled
I remember reading somewhere recently that the smoke deflectors were eliminated during the war to save resources but that during rework after the war they were added. It was recently because the whole reason I stopped and read the longcaption under the picture (It was in a coffee table type train book) was because my eye saw BR-52 and the discussion was going on here.

#6: Re: Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncommon? Author: Indrakrishnamurti PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:20 am
    ----
Dear all,

Based on my understanding of the build-up review of the CMK Kriegslokomotive, it seems that the composite (timber and metal) smoke deflector used on the model is a one-off field modification. And it was scratchbuilt by the modeler, who also replaced the steps in front of the smokebox with a different version.

S, there is no such thing like a Chinese Kriegslok. The China Railways did have several Resita-built copies of the BR 50, but these have Japanese style tenders and a larger cab more suitable to the Chinese loading gauge. And no, these do not look at all like the Trumpeter (or CMK) model.

The smoke deflectors used before the war were larger, looking like elephant-ears. These were called "Wagner" types. The wartime smoke deflectors are smaller rectangles of metal, either curved or bent, but rarely straight. These are the "Witte" deflectors.

Photographs of these are available on the Internet, or you might want to look at any model locomotive manufacturer catalogs.

Leaving the smoke deflectors would be a very viable and prototypical option.

Best,

Indra

#7: Re: Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncomm Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:37 pm
    ----
I don't know if it is a BR52 locomotive but around in februari 2002 we were going on FTX in Vogelsang. The German railways didn't have any modern diesel / electric locomotive to pull from the Dutch / German border to Vogelsang.

To our surprise they took a 140 ton steamlocomotive from 1942 with Deutsche reichbahn signs on it put it front of our Leopard 2s, PRTLS (NL Gepard) and M577's. On our question that this was probably not the first time that this locomotive pulled German armour to the east the around 70 year old ''lokomotivenfuhrer'' smiled.....

On my question if it was possible to hitch a ride on the locomotive the answered positive and had the trainride of my life. Putting coal on the fire to bring our my tank to Vogelsang. With 14 Leopard, 1 Leopard 2recovery, 2 Leopard 1recovery, 5 M577 and 5 PRTLs this locomotive was capable of reaching around 70 - 80 km/h.

The only problem was a steep hill which the loc could not climb the first time. It drove back several kilometers, there the two crewman stopped the train and put so much coal that the needle on the pressuregauge was against the red. At that moment the whole loc was shaking, steam hissing with clouds of sparks . They released the brakes and then we reached the top of the hill.

OK, it has nothing to do with modelling, but it was the most impressive trainride I made

www.sytzama.nl/reghuzsytz-c10.jpg

www.sytzama.nl/reghuzsytz-c12.jpg

#8: Re: Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncomm Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:47 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
I don't know if it is a BR52 locomotive but around in februari 2002 we were going on FTX in Vogelsang. The German railways didn't have any modern diesel / electric locomotive to pull from the Dutch / German border to Vogelsang.

To our surprise they took a 140 ton steamlocomotive from 1942 with Deutsche reichbahn signs on it put it front of our Leopard 2s, PRTLS (NL Gepard) and M577's. On our question that this was probably not the first time that this locomotive pulled German armour to the east the around 70 year old ''lokomotivenfuhrer'' smiled.....

On my question if it was possible to hitch a ride on the locomotive the answered positive and had the trainride of my life. Putting coal on the fire to bring our my tank to Vogelsang. With 14 Leopard, 1 Leopard 2recovery, 2 Leopard 1recovery, 5 M577 and 5 PRTLs this locomotive was capable of reaching around 70 - 80 km/h.

The only problem was a steep hill which the loc could not climb the first time. It drove back several kilometers, there the two crewman stopped the train and put so much coal that the needle on the pressuregauge was against the red. At that moment the whole loc was shaking, steam hissing with clouds of sparks . They released the brakes and then we reached the top of the hill.

OK, it has nothing to do with modelling, but it was the most impressive trainride I made

www.sytzama.nl/reghuzsytz-c10.jpg

www.sytzama.nl/reghuzsytz-c12.jpg

Wicked cool story, Lesley....thanks for sharing! (You only got two pictures?! Confused )

#9: Re: Smoke deflectors in Trumpeter's BR-52, how common/uncomm Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:33 pm
    ----
Yep, just two pictures Sad Sad The two black and white pictures are from the camera of my driver....

-> AFV News Discussion Board