Don - an idea for the Patton Museum...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Don - an idea for the Patton Museum... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:16 pm
    ----
Cant say when or why this occured to me...

At the Patton Museum:

At the Virginia War Memorial museum:

Get the idea??? Wink

Neil

#2: Re: Don - an idea for the Patton Museum... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:43 am
    ----
Isnt that gun mount at the VWMM from a Mk VIII International?

IIRC the earlier ones had a taller pedestal?

#3: Re: Don - an idea for the Patton Museum... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:51 am
    ----
Dunno.... VWM identifies it as a

"Tank Cannon
Mk II, 6-pounder Hotchkiss
Enfield Ordnance Company
United Kingdom
World War One"

When I posted this pic on the old board, David Reasoner replied that:

"I recall that the original Mk.I tank had a longer-barrel version of the 6-pdr, adapted from obsolete naval guns. The gun was shortened on later tanks to prevent the muzzle end from getting rammed into the dirt during trench crossing. This may be where the Mk.II designation comes in, the original longer gun possibly being the Mk.I. As a side note, surplus 6-pdr Mk.II tank guns were reissued during WW2 for use on armed merchant ships and some motor launches. Thus completing the cycle of naval gun to tank gun back to naval gun."

www.afvnews.ca/cgi-bin...read/65814

Neil

#4: Re: Don - an idea for the Patton Museum... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:27 pm
    ----
er? weren't we talking about the gun mount? not the gun itself?

#5: Re: Don - an idea for the Patton Museum... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:35 pm
    ----
Thats all I know about either...

Neil

#6: Re: Don - an idea for the Patton Museum... Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:42 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Thats all I know about either...

Neil

Either way, it's nice to know that someone actually read and remembered one of my posts! Laughing

David

P.S. Unfortunately, I can't provide any enlightment on the 6pdr. mountings either, unless you are interested in the naval ones.

-> AFV News Discussion Board