Melbourne Museum collection for sale...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:09 pm
    ----

www.milweb.net/arcade/melb/

Neil

#2: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:05 pm
    ----

We can only hope that a museum or group of museums pickup most of the collection.

Sgt, Scouts out!

#3: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:50 am
    ----
I think it's been up for sale as a whole collection for some time now, cited John Belfield's poor health as the reason to sell. I keep hearing about how no government body or museum wants to buy it, even though some of the vehicles have significant historical value, including one of the M3s that fought at Buna, an M24 that was used for trials (I think that one might actually be on loan from the RAAC musuem), whats left of the first Sentinel and a largely restored production vehicle, a captured Japanese type 97(?), and a whole slew of other tanks, vehicles, guns, ammunition and other bits and pieces.

Pity, sounds like it's now being broken up and sold off one vehicle at a time. Crying or Very sad

If I only had the money, John valued it at something in the order of 1 million for the lot.

I hope that most of it stays in Oz.

#4: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: David_Clark PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:52 am
    ----
I have had some fantastic times at John's museum, particularly clambering around the wrecks, bits and pieces and yet to be restored AFVs in the backyard.

It will be a tragedy if the collection is broken up and even more so if AFvs are purchased by overseas collectors. Hopefully the Movable Cultural Heritage Act will prevent the loss of the most significant AFVs.

David

#5: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:17 am
    ----
Thats a pity at the 'loss' of the collection.

I would imagine the fact that its in Australia, would scare off most interested parties. The prohibitive cost of shipping it out of country may be its saving grace.

#6: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: David_Clark PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:15 am
    ----
Don

I hope you're right but quite a few ex Australian Army M3 Grants have found homes in the northern hemisphere in recent years.

John Belfield has done a great job over many years by rescuing highly significant AFVS from firing ranges and farming use and restoring them to good condition (running where possible).

For me, part of the value of the collection is that it is a collection. Together, the AFVs help to tell the story of the development of Australia's armoured units as well as the evolution of armoured vehicles generally.

It would be great if the collection was purchased by like minded people who would continue John's work. There are some treasures in the backyard that could well end up as scrap if the new owner(s) doesn't share John's passion for turning sow's ears into silk purses - if that's an appropriate metaphor for rusting AFV hulks?

Unfortunately, I lack both the financial resources and mechanical skills.

David

#7: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:52 am
    ----
"Unfortunately, I lack both the financial resources and mechanical skills."

I'm sure that if you had the Financial resources you could find somebody with the mechanical skills to assist Smile

Unfortunately due to my lack of luck with the 'Powerball' or 'MegaMillions' Lotteries I do not have the financial resources to prove or disprove that theory Smile

#8: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:02 pm
    ----
- bsmart
"Unfortunately, I lack both the financial resources and mechanical skills."

I'm sure that if you had the Financial resources you could find somebody with the mechanical skills to assist Smile

Unfortunately due to my lack of luck with the 'Powerball' or 'MegaMillions' Lotteries I do not have the financial resources to prove or disprove that theory Smile

Me two! Confused

#9: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: David_Clark PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:34 am
    ----
- bsmart
"I'm sure that if you had the Financial resources you could find somebody with the mechanical skills to assist"

You're spot on there Roy!

I'll have to invest in the lottery and, if I happen to win, I'm sure I could find something to interest you - the M113 FSV perhaps?

Regards

David

#10: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:28 am
    ----
Just for interest here is the catalogue of what's on offer. Some bloody nice stuff up for grabs. The last item is interesting, they identify it as the E2 I was sure it was the E1 it's a perfect match for it.

Now I just have 4 week to become insanely wealthy Sad

#11: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:25 pm
    ----
I viewed the auction,
What a shame, a man's life work being dismantled before his own eyes. I imagine that happens a lot with these sort of private collections (cars, planes and similar big items included). I'm sure there are items that only he knows what value they have. I guess unless you have esablished some sort of trust it's inevitible any collection like this would get broken up when the collector dies and the family has no interest in it other than the cash value.

Joe D

#12: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:54 pm
    ----
I just remembered, here's a bit of background from October last year. I had a chance to vist a few years back and briefly met John and his wife, very nice people.

Pity the RAAC tank museum hasn't seen fit (or probably couldn't get the money) to obtain the collection, there are a few one-of-a-kind pieces in it, like the Vickers MkII training rig (it'd be nice to see it displayed along side the full tank at Pukca), and that wierd "light tank prototype".

#13: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:12 am
    ----
The auction should be going on now (if not already completed)... Wonder if we'll have any results by the morning (US time).

Neil

#14: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: MARKMILES77 PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:22 am
    ----
Just got back from the auction, here are some of theprices in Australian dollars.
Centurion MBT $34,000
Centurian ARV $17,500
Churchill Mk VII Infantry tank $34,000
General Chafee M24 Light tank $35,000
Buffalo Mk4 (LVT4) $32,000
Matilda Flamethrower $20,000
General Grant $22,000
M3A1 Stuart light tank $40,000
M2 Half track $24,000
Saracen $7,000
White M3A1 $21,000
Staghound Heavy APC $54,000
Saladin $17,000
Dingo Scout car $13,000
Bren Gun Carrier (Australian made) $19,000
Ferret $40,000
Lynx scout car $27,000
Sentinal AC1 Cruiser tank $55,000
AC3 Thunderbolt $22,500

#15: Re: Melbourne Museum collection for sale... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:37 am
    ----
- MARKMILES77
Ferret $40,000

For a ferret????

The Aus$ exchange rate must be further down the toilet than I suspected?

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board