Gripe or Grip?
-> Officer's Club

#1: Gripe or Grip? Author: RAF92_BattleHawkLocation: British Columbia, Canada PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:16 pm
    ----
My brother and I have a constant arguement. He thinks the the JAS Gripen is said Grip-en. I say Gripe-n. Ya know Grip and Gripe... Anyone wanna help us stop this once and for all?

#2: Re: Gripe or Grip? Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:49 pm
    ----
With it only having a single P it should be pronounced Gripe-n
IMHO
Smile

#3: Re: Gripe or Grip? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:20 pm
    ----
well Actually the word "Gripen" in Swedish means Griffin. Thus the pronunciation includes the letter "P" for English speakers. so i would say its grip as i never heard of the pronunciation of grife-n.......

#4: Re: Gripe or Grip? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:52 pm
    ----
also this i found "gripen can mean two things, depending on tone. On one hand it means 'touched' (in a figurative way of speaking), and on the other it means 'the griphon'.
but i will check with Shadow_Cyklop hes a swed, i'll get him to say it on his webcam tmrw n get back to you...

#5: Re: Gripe or Grip? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:22 am
    ----
ok results are it sounds like greepen! with i sounding like extended e in english

#6: Re: Gripe or Grip? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:27 am
    ----
Neva!
it's a Gri[PP]en.

And a 'scone' is a sko[h]nn (or, possibly, sko[w]ne)

#7: Re: Gripe or Grip? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:25 pm
    ----
Original blueprints for the aircraft had an umlaut over the i, an accent grave over the e, and a tilde-weirdthing over the p to soften it to a "v" sound (much like the soft "ph" in Griffen as above, but the intent was to lend a "v" sound). GrïÞèn.

The result (and intent shown in the blueprints) is to arrive at a pronunciation which appeals to the multinational customer base via a phrase resurrected and made popular from recent Austin Powers movies: "Groovin'"

-> Officer's Club