Simulator cockpits...
-> Officer's Club

#1: Simulator cockpits... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:36 am
    ----
From the link Shades posted on the Hardware forum, I found this site. You gotta like this guy...lol.

Probably like a lot of other people, I thought that motion for a flight simulator cockpit is a rich boys realm and never achievable on a low budget. Well.. wrong.. with a bit of Kiwi (a friendly slang name for New Zealanders) ingenuity and a lot of simple talent, a close imitation can be done for very little outlay. To get motion started as a simple idea, then grew into an obsession. The budget was $0 but like lots of things that grow into an obsession, money was needed to make progress.

THE TOTAL COST TO GET THE DATA FROM THE FLIGHTSIM COMPUTER AND MAKE THE COCKPIT ROLL AND PITCH IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE HORIZON (WHEN REQUIRED) IS ABOUT $400 N.Z. (ABOUT $200 U.S.) However, being a radio ham operator, and working in the electrical field, helped.

This unit I built was a "made from junk" unit and was only built to get information (angles, speed etc) for the simulator I was actually going to build, latter on, using good gear. It performs so well, I thought that I would pass this info on, as some of the flightsim community have made absolutely amazing cockpits and to plonk them on top of this simple motion platform would really blow their mind. I have been through hell on this (Cheap and simple) as I did'nt want to throw money at it.. also in the formular was simplicity.. used ready available things, as ultimately, the unit was to be scrapped. My aim in the future is to build a proper platform (that's why I need the figures) using a dual cockpit (islander, Cessna 310 ??) with a hercules C-130 as a flight model and fly around NZ.

I havent done much with the actual cockpit itself as the unit is a test unit.. BUT it goes so well, I dont want to wreck / sell / dismantle it (the whole unit) and start on the new one untill I've totally finished playing with it.. I have a friend that's got his own plane (piper) and he was very impressed with the motion and when I changed it over to combatsim II I couldn't get the bugger out of it.. I could only sit outside and watch the motion and have more beers !!!!

Now, being from an automotive background, the pic shows how he's used electric window motors, a steering gear box and steering linkage to do some of the platform motion. Other pics show him using old driveshafts and u-joints...lol You need to see his site to appreciate how cool this is...:wink:

To see the site: Click HERE!

#2: Re: Simulator cockpits... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:18 pm
    ----
LOL
Excellent.
I know a few people who'll wish they'd tried it first.

#3: Re: Simulator cockpits... Author: Kafco PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:16 pm
    ----
Another interesting one that uses no electronics can be found at www.acesim.com . This one depends on gravity balance around the CG with stick and bungee inputs. This one is cheap !!!

Regards,
Ken

#4: Re: Simulator cockpits... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:49 pm
    ----
Rgr Kafco, I've been a follower of the JoyRider project for quite a number of years.

I've seen some very cool individual projects coming from JoyRider... Wink

-> Officer's Club