Think you have the best graphics on the block?
-> Hardware

#1: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:41 am
    ----
Not for long.

Who needs a Physics processor?

According to AGEIA, you do! And of course game developers as well. AGEIA quotes Valve CEO and Half-Life 2 developer, Gabe Newell with: "It wouldn't be the same game without physics. The interesting aspect of physics is to drive gameplay, not flop around corpses." Other game developers I have talked to agree that physics is an integral part of nearly all future and current game designs, not just the first person shooter genre.

Sorry guys, you gonna have to shell out more cash alongside your graphics card(s) in future.
Or, when it gets incorporated, more cash for your graphics card(s).

#2: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:04 am
    ----
And any gamer that has played HL2 would tell you that the additional physics in the game really does add significantly to the gameplay. No longer are you as limited as you once were with what you could use to kill zombies or to destroy the random wood blocking doorways. But what AGEIA is hoping game developers will be able to do with their hardware is much more than simply allowing you to use certain items, instead they want you to be able to use ANY items to destroy any other item. This makes things much, much more difficult for both developers and current harwdare.

Great find Shades and as I was reading about this, I kept wondering how the new physics could be implimented in Air Sims (one track mind..lol).
This screenshot does not give much into what is happening or how complex the scene is, but a plane has just recently flown into this hanger and run into a couple of stacks of items, knocking them all over and causing a large amount of interactions between the various environmental pieces. Everything in the image was affected by the planes "entry" into the scene including the bomb that has just fallen on the walkway you are standing on!

VERY cool stuff and in our Sunday FS2004 flights, this could leave BIG holes in the Runway....lol

Last edited by Shadow_Bshwackr on Tue May 16, 2006 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:56 am
    ----
Makes you wonder about bumps on runways as well.

(EURO_FilbFox still has a special "bump" named after him at Warmwell, after a particularly adventurous landing on one mission, late one night in CFS1.
Hehehe)

Wonder if the 'randomness' of this processor could be used to eliminate the predictive spawning issues in some games as well.

#4: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:44 am
    ----
Found someone I know who bought one of these. He already has a top notch set-up so you may find it interesting to read what he has to say about it [HERE].
It's not that much of a recommendation frankly and, if I was looking to spend that sort of cash upgrading my graphics experience, I think I would be pretty non-plussed with the return.

#5: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:11 am
    ----
Still a cool idea and new and cool ideas usually cost...lol

#6: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: airshowpilot PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:31 pm
    ----
But the Aegis is directed to the gaming consoles such as the X-Box / Playstation platforms.. Many PC owners are going to lose out on the battle of the gaming platform of choice..

Read up on the articles in PC gaming magazine about the drastic loss of revenue off of the PC market.. Many gamers are pretty much screwed when it becomes a simple supply /demand proposition with it against PC owners.. Over the past 4 years the sales of PC games lost over 3 billion whereas the X-Box and Playstation are viable choices and the games are much easier to make for such platforms.
If your a publisher it would be so much easier to dump cheap console games out in the market and mass produce titles rather than to deal with poor support from the actual developers and hear bitching and whining of driver issues, and the ongoing dilemma of the hardware which is not standardized in the PC market as we all know..
Consequently Joe E. Public running a 1 gig processor rig with 512 ram with a 64 mg vid card is basically screwed out of playing a title due to his limitations.. It costs him approximately the same amount to upgrade his/her system to run the game or choose to buy an X-Box which would be about the same cost..
So ,, If all goes as plans; Joe buys the X-Box and worries not about the driver issues and the complexities of the game if he were to upgrade..

Simply, the game design is driven for consoles once again and the PC gaming industry has to find a systematic plan to retain its ongoing loss of customers..

The figures in the gaming magazine do not reflect the sales off of down loadable games which may give a different figure. But for the most part.. If I don't see a game title on the shelves in my local supermart I don't buy it online after the horrible support I receive from such intrusive down loadable platforms such as Boontay Box, Starforce and Steam.

Retail is easy; You cannot buy something that cannot be seen...

#7: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:04 pm
    ----
www.beastcomputers.co....-physx.php

#8: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:20 pm
    ----
Ok I just got the new Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter game and I understand to get the most outta the game I need one of these physx cards. After reading these articles I'm not so sure anymore. The game seems to run fine here with my 6800 GT. So should I spend the $300 to see a little more...I don't think so now. I think I'm gonna wait for the card manufactors to put it all togther in one card. Thanks for the info guys

#9: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:25 am
    ----
The 6800GT is in the list of acceptable cards for GRAW Homey...:D

#10: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:07 am
    ----
yeah homey the game will run fine on the 6800 gt i have one, but i think its worth holding back on the physx card unless your desperate for video display, so far i have tweaked the death outa my 6800gt and game runs fine although in multiplayer i seem to be struggling, so what the heck i decided to take on the forced upgrade and ordered me a new system,

i needed to replace my work pc also so i killed 2 birds with 1 stone, the studio will get my 6800 system (damn this means i can play stuff at work now) and i get a new system here, i held back on the pyhsx card option

AMD Athlon X2 3800 (Socket 939) Dual DDR400 CPU
- AMD Approved Cooler
- Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 SLi Dual Channel PCI-Express Motherboard
- Corsair XMS 2GB (2x1GB) DDR PC3200C2PT Dual Channel Kit
- 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 16mb cache SATA-2 Hard Drive
- 2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Cards (SLi Configured)
- Plextor PX-755 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
- Black Floppy Drive
- Onboard Sound Card
- Tagan TG530-U15 530W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU
- Windows XP Home pre-installed with License and CD supplied

i'm hoping this will carry me over for a while and i get a genuine windows disc at last lol

#11: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:29 am
    ----
WOW Ban, a game forced the upgrade? (That's usually when I upgrade too..lmao)

Nice system. Let us know how it works once you get everything going... Wink

#12: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:56 pm
    ----
Shadow_Banshee
wrote

AMD Athlon X2 3800 (Socket 939) Dual DDR400 CPU

did you see my post re the 939 and 940 pin set issues

"Majorly annoyed with AMD"

Best Regards
Adrian Wainer

#13: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:36 pm
    ----
Well times an issue here and off the shelf is the way i have to go, the amount of gaming i do these days hardly warrants the mega setup plus i dont have the time to build my own systems these days, so i opted for a quick fix and a decent enough spec system to get me over the gaming issues i have.

Had i been in the serious market for top notch games platforms i would have probably studied the boards etc, but i'm hoping this will get me by and onto a better playing field than i allready had, after all i have never had a top spec machine in my life lol but thats never stopped me doing ok at the games i play,
anyhow i'm sure this system will out perform my old AMD 3.2 ..FX6800GT.. 1 GIG ram.. and will run Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighters better.

So i guess if these issues kinda slow me down i'll have to work at my game a little harder lol and relax in the knowledge i at last have a genuine Windows CD ...
System is being suplied by www.overclockers.co.uk

#14: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:02 pm
    ----
ok up and running and i must say for me worth the trouble of upgrading, initial 3DMark 06 Score out of the box is "6769" , so far i ran the Fear demo on high with no slowdown at all, looks pretty sweet i must say.

#15: Re: Think you have the best graphics on the block? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:26 am
    ----
Congrats Ban! Seen your IM after too late...lol

How's it doing with GR?

-> Hardware