Teracruzer
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Teracruzer Author: fireman PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:41 am
    ----
Can anyone help I need info on the Teracruzer which was made by FWD of Clintonville OH. This was the tractor unit that towed the Mace missle Tm-76. I belive the Air Force designation was MM-1 for the tractor unit. If any one has any pictures it would be a great help.

#2: Re: Teracruzer Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:48 am
    ----
fireman:

Perhaps an appeal to Alfred Lai of the old DG would help. He has boxtop photos of almost every kit that was made.

The Teracruzer was released in 1/40th or so scale, back in late fifties, or very early sixties (IPC? ADAMS? Hawk?), and featured those fat wide watermelon-shaped tires.

Good luck in your search!

Russ

#3: Re: Teracruzer Author: fireman PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:40 am
    ----
Thanks Russ

I have a copy of the plans from the kit you mentioned . I was looking for any pictures that anyone might of had.

#4: Re: Teracruzer Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:48 pm
    ----
- fireman
Thanks Russ

I have a copy of the plans from the kit you mentioned . I was looking for any pictures that anyone might of had.

The best I did with Google was some nice images of a built model from various angles. I was completely unfamiliar with this vehicle until you brought it up...

#5: Re: Teracruzer Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:47 pm
    ----
Heres a model of it

www.ninfinger.org/~sve...ev8628.jpg

Cool

#6: Re: Teracruzer Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:01 pm
    ----
And here is an image of the MM-1 though to be honest the US Army's XM401 was much better looking.

#7: Re: Teracruzer Author: fireman PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:07 am
    ----
Thanks guys
Jim the image is just what I'm looking for .

#8: Re: Teracruzer Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:46 am
    ----
Fireman; Doug; Jim:

I wonder if there was an Instruction for changing a flat tire on that monster. I do see at least one spare, just aft of the cabin, and I imagine there must have been a crane, or davit, or some kind of rigging, to get that fat puppy over the side and onto the deck. The suspension arms look as though each wheel might have had a simple ( In those days? ) sort of pin / hub arrangemant to change out the tires.

The jacking and attendant tasks to accomplish this tire change must have been tremendous.

Was there ever anything like a TO&E for this vehicle's Unit?

I'm just wondering what on earth force could have punctured one of these very-low-pressure tires in the first place, other than directed enemy fire... and have spared the thin, vulnerable Mace missile carried aboard.

#9: Re: Teracruzer Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:55 am
    ----
- Russ_Buchan
Fireman; Doug; Jim

I wonder if there was an Instruction for changing a flat tire on that monster. I do see at least one spare, just aft of the cabin, and I imagine there must have been a crane, or davit, or some kind of rigging, to get that fat puppy over the side and onto the deck. The suspension arms look as though each wheel might have had a simple ( In those days? ) sort of pin / hub arrangemant to change out the tires.

The jacking and attendant tasks to accomplish this tire change must have been tremendous.

Was there ever anything like a TO&E for this vehicle's Unit?

I'm just wondering what on earth force could have punctured one of these very-low-pressure tires in the first place, other than directed enemy fire... and have spared the thin, vulnerable Mace missile carried aboard.
Looking at the vehicle I wonder if the jacking process may have been as simple as having a chain and a 'comealong' hooked to the frame above the wheels support arm to lift the wheel up off the ground. It looks like if you pulled up on a wheel support arm it would push the opposing wheel in the bogie down so the vehicle would still be supported and stable. Then a few bolts on each end of the wheels axle to remove it from the support arm.

In fact it may have been - loosen the axle bolts pull the support arm up away from the wheel with the comealong, roll bad tire out, new tire in, ease the support arm back down to line up the axle bolts, tighten to proper torque values and be on your way. As you said getting the tire out of and back in the storage rack may have been the biggest problem.

-> AFV News Discussion Board