Train Jeep at Ft Eustis
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Train Jeep at Ft Eustis Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:49 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img]
Another unique item at the Eustis Museum was this jeep used for rail use. Seems there were quite a few of these in use in the Pacific. Enjoy!!!

#2: Re: Train Jeep at Ft Eustis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:00 pm
    ----
I wonder how well that Jeep stops up to 20,000 lbs. if it needs to in a hurry....or down a slope?

#3: Re: Train Jeep at Ft Eustis Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:19 pm
    ----
Jeff, would especially appreciate some pics of that prototype Goer truck that is in the same fenced off area as the trains.

I stopped by there around closing time last year (after the Langley AFB airshow). Was able to check out the helicopters, most of the trucks and inside the museum - but the trains were already closed off.

Neil

#4: Re: Train Jeep at Ft Eustis Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:25 pm
    ----
I got ya covered already!!! I took pictures of EVERY vehicle, rail piece, and aircraft outside the museum. Your wish is my command. I only took one picture of it so far, but since you made a request, I will go back and shoot it from every angle. That GOER was very odd, and it actually served in Nam. It will probably be a while before I can get back there but as soon as I can, I'll post them here. Take Care!

#5: Re: Train Jeep at Ft Eustis Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:37 pm
    ----
That is interesting... Good eye though, its not a typical Goer. I was able to get a decent shot through the glass doors:

Based on the picture, I believe it is an XM437 Goer. That was one of the models offered by Le Tourneau-Westinghouse. Caterpillar won the program with its XM520 cargo, XM554 tanker and XM559 wrecker designs.

But the data plaque in front should be able to help with the ID.

Neil

#6: Re: Train Jeep at Ft Eustis Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:21 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
Here is a rear view of that Train Jeep. All 4 tires are mounted around the rear for conversion to road movement.

-> AFV News Discussion Board