Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:37 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img]
Neil, here you go!!! I'll go back and get more pictures if you'd like. My parents are visiting Easter weekend. My dad is a 35year Transportation Officer that spent alot of time at Eustis. We plan on spending the day at the post museum and visiting all his old "stomping grounds" here like the rail yard and dock facilities. I'm going to take him to the Trans school building as well. I dont have the "connections" here for a Kibbey quality tour but I'll do my best. Like I said, I have pictures of ALL the equipment here with the information plackards if there were any. The only things I didn't photograph we the small tug-boats and landing craft. They don't hold much interest with me. More to follow.

#2: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:25 am
    ----
Yeah, I think the production Goers (the Caterpillar ones) went to Vietnam. The prototypes probably never left the US.

And yes, I would like some all around pictures - ie front, side, rear, 3/4, etc.

Thanks.

Neil

#3: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:42 am
    ----
Pictures of the ones to go to Vietnam can be viewed on this page:

www.army.mil/cmh/books...apter8.htm

These are the same type as were being tested at the Armor Board at the same time I was there in 1972, so that was some kind of continuuing evaluation at Ft. Knox. My best friend of 28 years was on that project (died six years ago) and the one pic I don't have posted at Tanxheaven I had framed and gave to his family...taken when he was conducting a swim operation at Ft. Knox.

You're right, Neil (as usual) it wasn't the prototypes that went to SEA...

#4: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:20 pm
    ----
331MPH!!

#5: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:35 pm
    ----
- GaryKato
331MPH!!

Yeah, but just for the prototype. Production variants were much slower. Wink

#6: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:03 pm
    ----
Neil, I stopped by the museum today just for you. I got a shot of the GOER from each corner, a belly shot, and a close up of the front half-passenger side. I then climbed up on her and got a shot looking down into the drivers area, the data plates, turned and got a shot of the cargo area, and then one of the top of the hydralics area. I have to transfer them from my laptop, to photobucket, and then I'll get them on here. Just give me a day, I should have them by tomorrow evening.

#7: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:17 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Neil, here are the pictures I took yesterday. Yeah, you're not suppossed to climb on the exibits but no one was around. Hope you enjoy and this is what you were looking for. If not, just let me know.

#8: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:57 pm
    ----
Jeff, thanks much! You've earned a spot on my website - that is whenever it is launched, and whenever it gets around to support vehicles.

I'd actually also like some front, side and rear shots - front-on, side-on, etc if/when you can - no rush!

Thanks much!

Neil

#9: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:07 pm
    ----
Not a problem. I'll be at the museum again next Saturday with my parents and I'll get them them. Would you be interested in the LARC/BARC or any of the other trucks/vehicles here?

#10: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:15 pm
    ----
Actually I think I have good pics of the rest - unless they're in the trainyard. That was the only area I didnt get to.

Thanks again!

BTW, hope you can make it up here for a trip to the Ordnance Museum!

Neil

#11: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:18 pm
    ----
LARC? BARC?

Them be magic words... (OK, acronyms actually) If it isn't too much trouble, I'd love to see some photos, especially of the LARC's undersides and propellers, the BARC's wheels, driving lights and ramp details- got both of them in my stash and don't have any real ones in the neighbourhood.

Thanks in advance

Jens O.

#12: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:38 am
    ----
Neil,
I was in the field from 10-13th. Then I recieved a red-cross message about my father in Ohio and went there over the past weekend, (he's doing fine). I will get you those shots you want, didn't forget about you. I carry my digital everywhere and I may stop by there in the next few days.

#13: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:46 am
    ----
Jeff,
No problem! Glad to hear your father is doing okay.

Neil

#14: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:34 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Neil, here are your front, side, and rear shots that I took earlier this morning, right before it started raining really hard. I asked a museum worker about the GOER and its particular history, he knew nothing, but gave me the name and number to a woman that works there and if she doesnt know it, then they said they would put me in contact with the museum curator. Hope these are what you were looking for. Take care.

#15: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:35 pm
    ----
Jeff, thanks for the pics.

This month's issue of Classic Military Vehicle has an article on the Goers and a picture of this particular model:
www.cmvmag.co.uk/cgi-b...=066005CMV

The standard Goers were in the 8-ton class. The Goer at Fort Eustis was Caterpillar's entry for a Goer in the 16-ton class.

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board