M113 AVLB?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M113 AVLB? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:24 pm
    ----
new one on me....wonder how this worked out....seems like it'd be kinda' short (and heavy, for a 113....)

www.oldreliable.org/oc...3/p36.html

#2: Re: M113 AVLB? Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:10 pm
    ----
It didn't work well enough for large-scale production, apparently. Hunnicutt mentions that the bridge itself weighed 2700 lbs, could be emplaced in two minutes while the crew remained under armor, and the track retained its amphibious capability with the bridge stowed.

#3: Re: M113 AVLB? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:15 pm
    ----
- Chris_C
the track retained its amphibious capability with the bridge stowed.

It might well have floated, but Man!..that's a lot of weight up high...I wonder how stable that was in the water?

I never saw one of these anywhere before. 2,700 lb's is lighter than I would have thought it'd be...

#4: Re: M113 AVLB? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:57 pm
    ----
That variant didn't float - there was a variation on the design that oncorporated two large 'flotation aids' on the front that floated - just..

There was also a version that had the laid the bridge over the rear of the vehicle.

-> AFV News Discussion Board