Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: Gavin-Phillips PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:39 pm
    ----
I had heard about this conversion a while back, and right now the only picture that shows up in a Google search is on the now pay-to-use Jedsite Mad

I'm just wondering if anyone has more pics of this interesting vehicle, or if any books on T-54/T-55 covers it at all? I realise it is only a field modification but its an interesting one nevertheless!

Thanks

#2: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: Christophe_Jacquemont PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:06 pm
    ----
[url=http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_20064711121112.asp
]Photo at military photos.[/url]

Cheers,
Christophe

#3: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:24 pm
    ----
I'm kinda' hopin' for a picture of "Nadia".....

#4: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:08 pm
    ----
- Gavin-Phillips
I had heard about this conversion a while back, and right now the only picture that shows up in a Google search is on the now pay-to-use Jedsite Mad

Ah but incredible value for money Smile

- Gavin-Phillips
I'm just wondering if anyone has more pics of this interesting vehicle, or if any books on T-54/T-55 covers it at all? I realise it is only a field modification but its an interesting one nevertheless!

Field modification is not quite accurate - they are quite well made and there were at least 18 produced. I have a walkaround of one of these vehicles somewhere around here... I'll have to add it to the site sometime.

Cool

#5: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:59 pm
    ----
I would like to see the walk around on these vehicles. Any idea on the caliber, 105, 120mm? I would almost bet they were used for chemical delivery.

#6: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:25 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Any idea on the caliber, 105, 120mm?

160mm

Cool

#7: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:17 am
    ----
Yeah, I'm a moron, after I posted that I read the "title" of the posting more closely. Any data on this weapon available?

#8: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: Gavin-Phillips PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:37 am
    ----
I echo Jeff on that (cos he beat me to it), plus walkarounds would indeed be great to see Cool Being somewhat little known about as far as book go, I was wondering 3 main things about this conversion.

1: What is the crew number/duty of such a vehicle. Obviously there is a driver, a gunner and at least 1 loader. But then what, are those 160mm shells too heavy for one person to handle? I would expect a vehicle commander also...

2: When I first heard about this vehicle, I think the photo caption mentioned something about the weapon having limited traverse. Going by assumption only, I'd guess that was manually controlled, but what kind of traverse can you get out of a weapon that isnt turret mounted? Then there is also elevation/depression limits?

3: Ammo loadout!! How big is 160mm mortar ammunition? T-54 tank had the bulk of the ammunition stowed in the turret which doesnt help really. It may be hard to determine this if none of the 18 vehicles produced was fully kitted out for operations.

Thanks for all the replies!

#9: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:16 am
    ----
Gavin,

are you sure the mortar isn't turret-mounted? It looks like the whole superstructure is sitting on a rotatable base, just like the tank-turret it replaced- kinda hard to be sure with just this front view, though.

Otherwise, you aim it just like your good old Ferdinand/Elefant, Sturmgeschütz, Jagdpanzer or S-Tank, by moving the whole thing...

Cheers,

Jens O.

#10: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: Gavin-Phillips PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:58 am
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Gavin,

are you sure the mortar isn't turret-mounted? It looks like the whole superstructure is sitting on a rotatable base, just like the tank-turret it replaced- kinda hard to be sure with just this front view, though.

Otherwise, you aim it just like your good old Ferdinand/Elefant, Sturmgeschütz, Jagdpanzer or S-Tank, by moving the whole thing...

Cheers,

Jens O.

It could very well be that the rotating gear for the MBT of which this vehicle is based, is still in place. I was just going by memory from the caption as far as limited traverse being mentioned. Although it isn't quite the same, ZU-23 anti-aircraft guns are still manually traversed when mounted on a BMP hull.

#11: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:07 pm
    ----
The US M121, 120mm mortar system can fire rounds approx 7,200 meters. The M1064 Mortar track can carry 69, 120mm rds inside. The weight of a rounds is approx 30lbs, depending on the round. My guess is that the 160mm would weight around 50lbs. However, I would bet that those tank chassis don't have the ability to carry many rounds, and that support/ammo trucks are required to follow along closely. If they were designed mainly for gas/chemical use, then traverse would not be a real nessecity, as with HE type ammo. Just my take on it.

#12: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:42 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Tried to Google Soviet 160mm mortars, found the follow bits here and there. Shocked

Iraq is listed as having M-160 PKT (C) Towed Breech Loading mortars.
Number unknown.
Standard mortar has a crew of six.
Three types of rounds: HE, Chem, and WP.
Min range 750 meters, Max range 8,040 meters.

Could NOT find anything on shell sizes and weights.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#13: Re: Iraqi 160mm mortar mounted on a T-54 tank chassis? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:49 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

Could NOT find anything on shell sizes and weights.

-> AFV News Discussion Board