Game Zone closes June 19th
-> Officer's Club

#1: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:37 pm
    ----
zone.msn.com/en/genera...hezone.htm

No more cd based games on Zone after June 19th.
Just the free kiddy stuff now folks.

#2: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:43 am
    ----
Not only is MS closing down CFS, but FS2004 too. They'll also be closing Zone Friends IM and suggesting you to use MSN IM to stay in contact with your gaming buddies.

As time moves on, so does the world of gaming and while the Zone is closing, that may create opportunity for others. After all, there's always a bright side... Wink

Closing of Zone is just MS' way of evaluating the best way to generate cash flow. It's a business decision on their part and shouldn't really surprise you. After all, their main motivation has always been money... Wink

#3: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: sweets PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:56 am
    ----
never played there much anyway, so guess its no big loss to me, but Im sure others will be really uptight about it. I can always come here to find good friends to talk to. Wink

#4: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: NS38th_AristaeusLocation: Pensacola, FL. PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:31 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
Not only is MS closing down CFS, but FS2004 too. They'll also be closing Zone Friends IM and suggesting you to use MSN IM to stay in contact with your gaming buddies.

As time moves on, so does the world of gaming and while the Zone is closing, that may create opportunity for others. After all, there's always a bright side... Wink

Closing of Zone is just MS' way of evaluating the best way to generate cash flow. It's a business decision on their part and shouldn't really surprise you. After all, their main motivation has always been money... Wink

This just might be the opportunity for CC to get a few more Flight simmers in here. Offer those FS9 guys who use the Zone a new home.
Of course you will have to camp out on the zone and advertise Laughing

#5: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:04 am
    ----
Sweets, get urself CFS1 installed and come for a cuddle.... erm.. dogfight in the zone while we still got time.
Smile

#6: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:47 pm
    ----
I think the Comm-Central Team Speak server would be another means of getting games going. It's a shame that they are closing it down for ALL CD games.

IL2 isn't a Microsoft Product under this clause, is it? Haven't played it, but may make a purchase if multi-play is still available for use.

#7: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:36 pm
    ----
Nope, IL2's Ubisoft and hosted (mainly) on the Hyperlobby.
Much more advanced than CFS1 (but CFS1's still the most fun of the lot :D)

#8: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:45 am
    ----
Well, unfortunately it seems like it may be time to give another combat flight sim a shot.

Right after FS9, Stoop!

#9: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: Kafco PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:43 pm
    ----
Our squadron has always used direct IP and our own TS2 for CFS-1, CFS-2, FS-9, IL2, GPL and GTL so we will fortunately not miss the Zone.

Direct IP is fine if the host is broadband. TS2 stutters a bit when the traffic gets heavy in racing sims but you're not talking much when you're wheel to wheel.

It's evolution we're witnessing. We will work it out and be fine.

Regards,
Ken

#10: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: Hangman PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:09 pm
    ----
Kafco how much do you all race GTL online? and if it's once a week or so do you let outsiders in? I have TS and everyother voice program out there and I'd love an opportunity to race GTL online. Awesome game.

#11: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: JG27_Tanker PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:11 pm
    ----
Well it looks like some of you my fly IL2 Sturmovick Forgotten Battles in Hyperlobby..... gulp!!!! Where is my Kevlar underwear?

~S~ Tank

Last edited by JG27_Tanker on Fri May 05, 2006 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

#12: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:48 am
    ----
Tankypoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#13: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: JG27_Tanker PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:51 pm
    ----
Arrrrrrrgh ya dang Skwirrel ya know its Skwirrel hunting season. And I'm hankerin to make a big pot of Skwirrel stew!!!!!!

~S~ Tank

#14: Re: Game Zone closes June 19th Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:04 am
    ----
Grrr s.o.b. monkeys, all hunt da skwirrell.

Razz

-> Officer's Club