M60 AVLB
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60 AVLB Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:49 am
    ----
This is what happens when you keep a camera around.
Bunch of these came in to McCoy, Got a chance to get some very detailed pictures. Especially the top which is usually hidden by the bridge. These are still in service, and probably will be for some time with all the cutbacks. The M60 Lives on.

Joe D

#2: Re: M60 AVLB Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:57 am
    ----
We weren't allowed cameras but they rebuild those at Anniston Army Depot. Wish I could have shot some pictures there. I think they were afraid that photos might tip off foreign governments of our industrial capabilities there.

#3: Re: M60 AVLB Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:08 pm
    ----
Hi Joe D! Hi Folks!

Thanks for the photo!

Any idea what that panel is on the rear end of the closest vehicle is?
I have not seen anything like that on a AVLB carrier.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#4: Re: M60 AVLB Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:00 pm
    ----
Take a look at the Hull... wasn't that originally an early production M60A2?

Cool

#5: Re: M60 AVLB Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:28 pm
    ----
Hi Jim! Hi Folks!

- JimWeb

Take a look at the Hull... wasn't that originally an early production M60A2? Cool

As far as I know, the only thing on the hull that will tell us it is an ex-M60A2 is if it has a CBSS bulge under the rear grill doors.

Do you know of another item that can be seen from the side or top?

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#6: Re: M60 AVLB Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:42 pm
    ----
Jim,
No, this one is an original M60A1 AVLB, or in this case an AVLM. That's why it has the second brace that crosses the rear deck. It would carry 2 MCLIC (Mine Clearing Line Charge) on the back. Three ways to tell the difference between A1 and A2 chassis. The A2 hull would have the turret opening machined to take the race ring, the driver's hatch and vision blocks plugged, and last and most obvious was the CBSS bulge.

Roy,
The panels I think you are reffering to are upside down mud flaps attached to the rear fender brace. Some while back some soldier got tired of all the desert dust that kicks up and get's sucked under the bridge when it's carried. So he put those mud flaps there to block it. Pretty smart. Now it's a common sight.

Joe D

#7: Re: M60 AVLB Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:14 pm
    ----
I was going by the number of 'eyes' welded to the hull sides...

Cool

#8: Re: M60 AVLB Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:20 pm
    ----
I just recently asked about AVLB's and while searching our old pages I came across this from last May. So I guess there are M60A2's converted to AVLB's. This might be one for the "Sticky", as far as how two distinguish the two types for proper ID.

#9: Re: M60 AVLB Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:34 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Jim,
No, this one is an original M60A1 AVLB, or in this case an AVLM. That's why it has the second brace that crosses the rear deck. It would carry 2 MCLIC (Mine Clearing Line Charge) on the back. Three ways to tell the difference between A1 and A2 chassis. The A2 hull would have the turret opening machined to take the race ring, the driver's hatch and vision blocks plugged, and last and most obvious was the CBSS bulge.

Roy,
The panels I think you are reffering to are upside down mud flaps attached to the rear fender brace. Some while back some soldier got tired of all the desert dust that kicks up and get's sucked under the bridge when it's carried. So he put those mud flaps there to block it. Pretty smart. Now it's a common sight.

Joe D

Thanks, Joe...

It's your pics that I mistakenly attributed to Bob in the other poste where I mentioned the "welded up bits"...I recalled seeing the plugged driver's hatch welds somewhere previously. The CBSS bulge is obvious, but since some early M60A1E2 hulls wouldn't have this (and I'm not sure they might not have been converted also) I wasn't sure if it should be a rule-in/out criteria.

This might be one for the "Sticky", as far as how two distinguish the two types for proper ID.

Jeff,
Bob and I were just discussing "sticky" threads today...and in the interest of limiting "clutter" and having sticky threads retain their impact, we really want to limit the number of sticky's to the bare minimum. Something like this I suggest doing as I just did....save that sucker to your favorite picture file for future reference. Wink

D.

#10: Re: M60 AVLB Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:00 pm
    ----
Right... Right now I for one would like to restrict the current sticky to just SNs. If we start doing ID guides for every vehicle, well.... You get the idea...

Neil

#11: Re: M60 AVLB Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:05 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Right... Right now I for one would like to restrict the current sticky to just SNs. If we start doing ID guides for every vehicle, well.... You get the idea...

Neil

Actually, in that vein, I'd like to see us soon making better use of the under-utilized "downloads" section available to us. The AFV forum is presently only represented by three downloads vs. lots more for the other C-C activities and this could be done a lot better. Since certain individuals have taken obvious leadership roles in assembling these valuable lists (*ahem*) I'm sure the admins would offer every assistance in helping with any transition to that format and then updates and downloads by members would soon become routine. Wink

#12: Re: M60 AVLB Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:14 pm
    ----
Okay, I get the hint... My only possible objection is that non-users (ie general public) cannot access the downloads section. Thats why we shifted the register to ftp... Of course I could do the same for SNs, just putting it an pdf... But we'd still need a sticky for the link...

Neil

#13: Re: M60 AVLB Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:21 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Okay, I get the hint... My only possible objection is that non-users (ie general public) cannot access the downloads section. Thats why we shifted the register to ftp... Of course I could do the same for SNs, just putting it an pdf... But we'd still need a sticky for the link...

Neil

That works too, we could have a "general purpose" sticky with a list of links to the the ftp linky's for each item all in one post with an item descriptor. Sounds like a capitol idea there! Good thinkin'....see what I meant about those "leadership roles"?

#14: Re: M60 AVLB Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:40 am
    ----
I spent all day chaining M60A1 AVLB's to flatcars. Six of them headed to Anniston.

-> AFV News Discussion Board