New Pictures of the VBCI (French Wheeled IFV)...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New Pictures of the VBCI (French Wheeled IFV)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:15 pm
    ----
Posted on this website:
olivier.carneau.free.f.../index.htm

Notice how tall it is!

Neil

#2: Re: New Pictures of the VBCI (French Wheeled IFV)... Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:07 am
    ----
I'm a wee bit puzzled about VBCI.........I understand that this their derivative of a new Wheeled APC/IFV instead of Boxter, but one has to question what sort of commercial success they expect to achieve outside of the French Army needs?

The dominance of opposing designs such as Patria AMV, Pandur II, LAV III, probably of more relevance, LAV IV, makes me wonder IF the French expect ANY Export Sales.

Certainly they are behind the eight-ball currently as opposed to where they were in the late 70's/1980's....................

Great images by the way! Nice to see the Test Team are of the more-mature age!!!! Mr. Green

#3: Re: New Pictures of the VBCI (French Wheeled IFV)... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:40 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Geez THAT THING IS HUGE!!

Hard to sneak around with a vehicle able to CARRY a Peugeot....

Interesting thought about the LeClerc. Why camo nets over those areas? Is it trying to 'hide' armor protection?

Just a few random thoughts...
Don

#4: Re: New Pictures of the VBCI (French Wheeled IFV)... Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:35 am
    ----
I think you'll find that it is this: -

The first modification, a Mobile Camouflage System (MCS) designed by the Swedish Barracuda Company, comprised a number of specially insulated panels which could be easily fitted to the turret and the hull of Leopard. These panels provided a two fold benefit - they acted as an insulation from the heat and they provided a degree of protection against thermal imagery. Their external appearance is similar to that of the current issue Barracuda camouflage netting. An additional 'umbrella' system could be fitted over the tank's turret, for use when static.

The wording is taken from a description of the Australian Leopard tank which has VERY similar-looking system/camo..............

Close-up of the hull plus Barracuda system matting............

Images taken from Paul Handel's excellent summary of the Australian Leopards here: -

anzacsteel.hobbyvista....rdph_1.htm

ALL of the latest, so-called, Heavy Wheeled APC/IFV's are very large just look at BOXER, LAV IV, AMV, etc etc..........BOXER has to be, however, the biggest by far.

Regards,

BUG

#5: Re: New Pictures of the VBCI (French Wheeled IFV)... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:47 am
    ----
Interesting,....thanks BUG.

#6: Re: New Pictures of the VBCI (French Wheeled IFV)... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:57 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Notice how tall it is!

I knew the French were short, but.....

-> AFV News Discussion Board