MGS AutoLoader Photo
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:46 pm
    ----
I think they referred to this as the 'replinisher'. With the touch of a button it refills the autoloading carousel in the turret.

#2: Re: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:33 pm
    ----
Wow! That's the third - and heftiest - version of the MGS autoloader I've spotted to date! Previous photos there were jokes going around about the likelyhood of crews 'illegally' stowing a few extra gun ammo rounds in all that open space. This version looks like they've done a job of fillin' 'er up back there!

#3: Re: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:29 pm
    ----
Interesting that its an inverted M68, 105mm (ala M-1).

They have HEP, HEAT,SABOT, & Canister.

Rotary is a 'semi-ready' rack. 'Ready' rack is farther forward.

I saw the original MGS two years ago. You are right with the space.

It seems to be gone now, with a little left-side access to the forward area.

Don

#4: Re: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:54 pm
    ----
Here's another view, from the AUSA convention in October.

Here's the old one, from 2004:

Neil

#5: Re: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:13 am
    ----
As a former crewmember on a 60 I sure did appreciate the M1's ammo bustle and doors, I'd hate to be in that thing if it took a round to the rear with nothing isolating the replenisher from the crew. WTF?? I thought the whole idea of the external gun was to protect the crew???

Joe D

#6: Re: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:52 am
    ----
Hi Joe D! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D

As a former crewmember on a 60 I sure did appreciate the M1's ammo bustle and doors, I'd hate to be in that thing if it took a round to the rear with nothing isolating the replenisher from the crew.

It's a light vehicle and that replenisher must go somewhere. Down in the hull and in the rear is about the best place to put it. As for taking a round through the six o'clock position, team work must work to prevent that. If not, I have visions of what many of those Iraqi T-72s looked like after being hit by our 120mm rounds. As for blast doors like the Abrams has, that would just add more weight that the Air Force can not lift by C-130.

If you look at the MGS as a replacement for the Light Infantry unit's M151s with M40 106mm RRs or the Hummer with the TOW system. Vehicles that have no protection from any direction from any size weapon, the MGS is a major step UP for the equipment within a Infantry Battalion. Light armor is better than no armor.

- Joe_D

WTF?? I thought the whole idea of the external gun was to protect the crew???

Yes it was, back in it's day!

Back in the late 1970s, that was the idea when that external gun turret was tested on a number of different hulls.

Not today however. Think about it for minute. If a regular type of turret was used, we would have something looking like a M8 AGS or a M551 Sheridan turret mounted on top a Stryker hull.

The external gun on the MGS, reduces size of the turret which reduces the weight of the turret. And as we all know, weight is a major controlling factor with the layout of all the Stryker vehicles. As for the two crewmen, their heads are not that much lower than the center line of the gun barrel. A major hit on the gun mount most likely will also hit one or both of the crewmen. The small frontal profile of the turret provides more protection than the armor plate does.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#7: Re: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:41 am
    ----
Thanks, Don. Your camera really makes mine look like a piece of crap! Evil or Very Mad

A new one is on the way! Smile

BTW, are there provisions for manually loading MGS? Not that it could possibly break down.....

#8: Re: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:24 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Thanks, Don. Your camera really makes mine look like a piece of crap! Evil or Very Mad

A new one is on the way! Smile

BTW, are there provisions for manually loading MGS? Not that it could possibly break down.....

Wink

No problem, dude.

As for manual loading.....yep!

As I was listening to a description of the intended mission of the MGS, I was amazed that it all sounds real familiar.

Strictly Infantry Support,.....as was the Ontos. Bad Karma?

We'll see...

Don

#9: Re: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:26 am
    ----
Hi Don! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

As I was listening to a description of the intended mission of the MGS, I was amazed that it all sounds real familiar.

Strictly Infantry Support,.....as was the Ontos. Bad Karma?

We'll see...

Ontos? Don't forget the M56 SPAT.
The missions those two vehicles where built for is where I have been thinking the Stryker MGS fits into the picture.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#10: Re: MGS AutoLoader Photo Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:03 am
    ----
Kudos Roy

You're right, although I think a little more thought went into the Ontos, but I think my bias.

Guess I need to look into development of the SPAT. (what a name,....past tense for a 'Looo gie')....LOL!!

I know its the Scorpion, but had to say that...

Off to the AWS ...

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board