RWS-Javelin
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: RWS-Javelin Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:14 pm
    ----
Remote Weapon Station-Javelin

#2: Re: RWS-Javelin Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:27 pm
    ----
It's been outlined in future procurement for the Australian Army that our current ASLAV-PC's (personnel carrier versions) c/w Kongsberg Protector RCWS will also get a JAVELIN capability sooner rather than later.........I would presume that the images above will be what is selected.

Regards,

BUG

#3: Re: RWS-Javelin Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:36 am
    ----
If I get back over there I will inquire.....

#4: Re: RWS-Javelin Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:04 pm
    ----
BuglerBilly- I asked if this was being sold to Australia and they were clueless. The only thing they seemed to know was that this is the same weapon station found on the Stryker with the addition of the Javelin missile.

#5: Re: RWS-Javelin Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:11 pm
    ----
Call me BUG mate, everyone does! Wink

I'm not too surprised at their lack of reaction, as the comment for Javelin and our Protector systems is part of an intent NOT an actual programme yet. Still you can bet their Bosses are more than keen to deal.......... Cool

I'll let y'all know what develops as it develops...............

Interestingly enough, there is a potential for approx 1,000 plus Remote Weapon Stations for existing and new equipment for the Aussie Army.

Regards,

BUG

#6: Re: RWS-Javelin Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:18 pm
    ----

#7: Re: RWS-Javelin Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:12 pm
    ----
I'm reminded of all those speculative 'enhancement' projects of the early 80s. The cold war was still on and everybody and their brother was marketing a package for one new turret design/missile platform or another. As a matter of fact I've got a photo of the initial incarnation of the Stryker MGS turret back during AUSA 1984(?) conference being marketed as a Centurion and M60 turret replacement! Most of those speculative projects never bore fruit, with the exception of those sold in small numbers to Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, or Iraq. Currently we're seeing a new crop of private ventures hoping to cash-in on events in Iraq. Care to speculate how many will be around as service items 15 years from now?

#8: Re: RWS-Javelin Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:13 pm
    ----
Good point. A lot of stuff at the Armor Conference was there, in my opinion, specifically because of Iraq. Wonder if we'll be in Iraq in 15 years.... Sad

#9: Re: RWS-Javelin Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:46 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Good point. A lot of stuff at the Armor Conference was there, in my opinion, specifically because of Iraq. Wonder if we'll be in Iraq in 15 years.... Sad

Remember 'our' 1 year mission as Peacekeepers in Bosnia ( that is still ongoing!!??),.....That was an 'easy' mission compared to Iraq.

Vehicles now being developed will wear out in theater before that commitment will be completed.

(Of course that is just one humble opinion, mine!!)

Don

#10: Re: RWS-Javelin Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:08 pm
    ----
The assumption is that we were ever meant to withdraw. I thought the original warplan was for easy invasion/permanent regional footprint. I heard within a week of entering Baghdad we had already moved everybody out of our old Saudi bases. That doesn't sound like they had an 'in-out' strategy to me.

But to quote Rumsfeld quoting Clauswitz, no warplan survives contact with the enemy. 15 years (our speculative timeframe for discussion here) is 1 year shy of FOUR presidential election cycles. By election cycle #3 the populace would probably prefer to spend the nation's weath on rebuilding hurricane ravaged Phildelphia, or whatever the crisis of the day is going to be in 2015.

-> AFV News Discussion Board