What do you guys use for tire colour?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What do you guys use for tire colour? Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:20 pm
    ----
Hi Guys-
What do you guys use for tire colour? That must sound like an odd question from someone who has been building kits for over forty years. I have been using panzer grey for quite a few years now as I think it gives a good representation of faded rubber. However, recently, I have started to collect some cars that I plan on putting on flatcars behind my Trumpeter BR-52 and I want use something other than panzer grey for thier tires. The reason for considering this change is that none of the cars will be what most of us would call "field cars". Instead, they will be civilian vehicles used by the military for civilian use, meaning city driving well behind the lines. Because of this, I dont think the tires would appear to be as faded as panzer grey, they could look that faded, I just think it less likely. I suppose I could simply choose to darken my panzer grey, I just thought I'd see what you guys are using?
With thanks-
Geoff Steer [;-{/)

#2: Re: What do you guys use for tire colour? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:56 pm
    ----
Don't know if it's still available but in my modelling days I used to use a Testor's color called Rubber (not trying to be a smart ass, thats what it was called) I was always quite happy with it and I would add a little lighter gray for the parts of the tires that contacted the ground. HTH

Jeff Lewis

#3: Re: What do you guys use for tire colour? Author: JimLewisLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:05 pm
    ----
I like to use Tamiya Acrylic XF-1 Flat Black as a base coat, and then apply diluted color coats of either Polly Scale Grimy Black, Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black - or combinations of each.

Jim

#4: Re: What do you guys use for tire colour? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:36 pm
    ----
Model Master has Aircraft Interior Black that is slightly less black than Flat Black. I use it as a base, then weather over it.

C

#5: Re: What do you guys use for tire colour? Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:56 pm
    ----
We all know the color of modern technology tires (just look outside at your car). But I wonder, do 1940s technology rubber tires look/hold up the same? I seem to dimly recall an article on this topic (God knows from where) that suggested 1940s tires tended to bleach-out pretty quickly. If you look at B&W photos of a Greyhound, for example, its likely the tire will appear a lighter shade of grey than the body! That makes picking a proper shade for the tires a bit complicated.

#6: Re: What do you guys use for tire colour?-Good point Mike... Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:06 pm
    ----
Hi Mike-
You do make a good point, earlier technology used in making rubber tires would be a significant factor in colour selection. Now that you mention it, old movies (my other hobby) do show that tires looked anything but dark, even if we are talking black and white film. I still would like to know what everyone out there is using though.
Thanks to everyone for the help-
Geoff Steer [;-{/)

-> AFV News Discussion Board