Majorly annoyed with AMD
-> Hardware

#1: Majorly annoyed with AMD Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:48 pm
    ----
Majorly annoyed with AMD

I am building a computer based on the Athlon 64 939

and before I have put the parts together those nice folks at AMD say they are releasing their new Athlon 64 940, the problem is in the Athlon 64 939 that the price only rises quite slowly as one goes though the higher spec single core Athlon 64 939 but there is a big price jump to the first dual core Athlon 939 from the single core Athlon 64 939. Athlon are promiseing to release a quad core Athlon 64 in 2007, which no doubt would have forced the prices of their dual core 939s down but with the introduction of the 940 pin set, no doubt they will introduce the Quad core in 940 and thus be able to keep dual core 939 prices artifically high since people with 939 motherboards will be locked out of purchaseing Quads.

And here is the good bit, the new Athlon 64 FX-62 in the 940 pin set which now supports [ and with ] DDR2 memory is running slower than the 939 equivalent and slower DDR memory.

see the British magazine

custompc

www.custom.co.uk

article

"AMD Athlon 64FX-62 DDR2 DOES NOTHING FOR THE ATHLON 64"

[I read about this mess in the newstand issue of the magazine ( issue 034/July 2006 ) ]

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#2: Re: Majorly annoyed with AMD Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:24 pm
    ----
Pity you don't subscribe to another forum (which I also belong to) www.BuildYourOwn.org.uk/forums/ coz we announced this back in January and have been advising new builders what would happen since then.

It's a British based site, which means prices and other measurements tend to be in English (Her Majesty's proper, honest-to-goodness, English ;)) but we have volunteer members and subscribers from all over the world.

#3: Re: Majorly annoyed with AMD Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:43 pm
    ----
Thanx for the web link! Appreciated!

as the saying goes

"Experience is the best university, but the fees are often terminally high"

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Last edited by Adrian_Wainer on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Majorly annoyed with AMD Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:47 pm
    ----
You're welcome.
If it's any consolation, I found it the day after I finished my first build.
lolol

#5: Re: Majorly annoyed with AMD Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:41 pm
    ----
Good news, I managed to cancel my order for the AMD Athlon 939 motherboard and will be getting a motherboard for the new Intel Core 2 Duo chip which is releasing shortly!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

www.asus.com/products2...l1=3&l2=11

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

„Ik val aan, volg mij!�
Rear-Admiral Karel Doorman Battle of the Java Sea 1942

#6: Re: Majorly annoyed with AMD Author: Trans_23Location: Chicago, IL PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:44 am
    ----
I did the same thing back in December '05. I have a AMD 64 4000+ single core which fails miserably compared to my old P4 dual core when multi-tasking. Now I am looking at a much bigger cost to upgrade to a dual core AMD. I was always an Intel user but thought on my last build to try AMD as they were touted for better gaming. I don't really see a huge difference in gaming and now am stuck with slower multi-tasking until I upgrade the chip.

Live and learn I guess. Sad

-> Hardware