Military Flights
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
-> FS2004

#91: Re: Military Flights Author: Hangman PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:43 pm
    ----
you guys take as much time as you need to make this the way you want it & we'll be there when its done to execute..lol...looks like its gonna be somethin else when its all said & done.

#92: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:57 pm
    ----
Stoopy, can you provide a downloadable-from-outside FTP addy that Al Simms could download my newer Phu Bai from? I'd like him to take a look at it and all he has access to is the first version....

He's probably not registered here.

#93: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:08 pm
    ----
- Hangman
you guys take as much time as you need to make this the way you want it & we'll be there when its done to execute..lol...looks like its gonna be somethin else when its all said & done.

OK, hold the phone then...Simms has some cool bunkers and a better chapel than I was able to build for Phu Bai...and we had a big 'un (we might need it, too....not all of you are gonna' make it back....).

#94: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:23 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Stoopy, can you provide a downloadable-from-outside FTP addy that Al Simms could download my newer Phu Bai from? I'd like him to take a look at it and all he has access to is the first version....

He's probably not registered here.

If you guys need it I have my freebie DSL site. You can use it if you like.

#95: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:30 pm
    ----
How would I use that, Fr8ycat? What do I need to know? (I don't have an FTP program installed)

Also, Al's barrelled/sandbagged buildings are WAY better than some of the barracks...I just checked 'em out...gonna' switch some out...and the Chapel looked great.....

#96: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:31 pm
    ----
Roger Dodger, Fr8ycat.......actually I just asked Ascout to send you some info so we can all collaborate in the same spot....Ascout, in that PM is the HTTP address you wanted, and some other cool info.

This is shaping up!

#97: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:50 pm
    ----
OK guys whoever has the files that you want to make downloadable I just made a set of instructions on how to get into my site and add the file for download.

Which ever of you want it pm me and I'll send it to ya. It's easy enough.

EDIT: oops just caught your post. either way if it's easier for you to upload directly to my site I trust ya and will give the info.

#98: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:02 pm
    ----
Stoopy, sent PM with info. If either Ascout or yourself want to do it direct go for it, I gotta go to bed.

#99: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:05 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
Stoopy, sent PM with info. If either Ascout or yourself want to do it direct go for it, I gotta go to bed.

and I sent you something, too. Wink

Al's barracks are WAY better than what I was using....

#100: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:12 pm
    ----
Better Chapel, better barracks, more variety, new construction...and bunkers. Mr. Green

#101: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:36 pm
    ----
WOW!!!!

Friggin' thought I was looking at some of your old pix for a second....

#102: Re: Military Flights Author: RAF92_BattleHawkLocation: British Columbia, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:26 pm
    ----
What mesh? I'm really interested in this so mabey one on ya could tell me!

#103: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:00 pm
    ----
Awwright, Gentlemen.....

Ascout, Fr8ycat (if you got the info from Ascout).....if you look in the JG300 FTP server, you will find a folder called "Vietnam" and in it, a ZIP file called CC_AsiaMilBGLstuff.zip.

In that ZIP file you will find an add-on scenery folder, an effects folder, and a Flightplan folder. Contents of those folders go into the FS9 directory in their respective places so named (sorry no installer yet, but of course there will be).

Hangman, I will send you a PM with the HTTP URL to download this so you can check it out too.

What you should find, if the Com-C Milflight add-on scenery is copied over and enabled, and the effects are copied to the effects folder, are new waypoints in Vietnam for several locations - Khe Sanh, FSB Birminghamm, Camp Eagle, A Shau Valley, Roung Roung Valley, and also the Ingress points for those two valleys (all taken as exactly as I could from the original maps Ascout provided). You will also see some effects....A Shau and Roung Roung Valley LZ's are marked with a pink smoke canister which you should see from a few miles out. Khe Sanh is having some trouble with sappers and you'll find a couble of fires with black smoke, and also two areas on a hill marked by the FAC with Willy Pete for the attention of inbound air support.

This is all "prototype" and may need polishing so that's why it's a good time to get more eyes on it.

As for the flight plans: There are two, one for fixed wing (A1D Skyraiders) and another for Rotary-wing (UH-1 and OH-6's). The Sandys depart Da Nang and head straight for the Roung Roung Valley Ingress point....the scout/landing task force in rotary winged craft depart Phu Bai and head for the same location. Tests I've run with AI planes using these flight plans show they should arrive wthin a minute or two and a within a few miles of each other.

Both flights proceed to the LZ in Ruong Ruong Valley just over the ridge. After making sure the LZ is safe, the Sandy's head North to offer assistance at Khe Sanh....the Helos return to Phu Bai for drop-off/pickup for their second flight.

At about the time the helo's reach Phu Bai, the Sandy's will be at Khe Sanh ready to expend ordinance if needed. Both flights should be able to easily reach and then continue from these waypoints next for the A Shau Valley Ingress point at the same time. They will thus meet up again (the miles and speeds work out pretty well) as both flights merge at he A Shau Valley Ingress waypoint, and continue into A Shau Valley to the LZ. The A1D's cover the helos for a quick stop, and all fly back safe and sound to Phu Bai to land together, provided the Sandy's slow up a little and provide air cover for the helos.

Here's some shots of how it works using a single AI Skyraider flying an assigned flight plan to simulate the multiplayer fixed-wing element...since I had to do this on my laptop with no joystick, and wanted few variables in flight, I used a fixed-wing on autopilot to fly the seperate helo flight plane (A Cessna 172 to apprximate the airspeed of the subject helo's...please forgive me!)

Main window shows the C-172, upper right shows the Skyraider AI plane on it's flight plan, bottom right GPS shows waypoints and progress for the helo flight only, bottom center is a top-down view so I could verify smoke markers, bottom left window is the MS Traffic Tools utility to show AI flight traffic on a radar-type display:

Arriving at ingress point at Ruong Ruong Valley... the Skyraider crosses the ingress waypoint first and comes back around to head into the LZ first to check for bad guys.....the pink smoke canister marking the LZ is visible in the valley on the left and looks much better as you get closer, trust me:

"Helo" flight returns to Phu Bai while the Sandy's proceed to Khe Sanh to provide assistance. As the helo's reach Phu Bai, the A1D's are at Khe Sanh (note the upper-right window with the Skyraider, one fire is visible as are the two targets marked with white phosphorous)

Both flights proceed fron their respective locations towards A Shau Valley ingress point and the speeds and distances match up pretty close such that they hook up over that waypoint. Skyraiders then head in to do their thing and provide cover for the helos....once again the LZ is marked with a smoke canister.

Then everybody heads back to Phu Bai and lands together, last one down buys the first round of drinks...the whole thing should take about an hour, give or take. Sound like what we're after??

I'll post a rough view of the flight plans seperately so it'll make more sense....

#104: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:31 am
    ----
Did my original estimated flight times work out to be more-or-less correct? I didn't test 'em in simulation.

#105: Re: Military Flights Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:13 am
    ----
I believe so! This is essentially based on the white lines drawn on the large (green) area map you provided long ago, and it follows that pretty well....so it's a good job of estimating!

In multiplayer there are bound to be some variables - I think the helo flight will make better time, and the AI flew the pants of that Skyraider, about 20 knots higher than I cruise with it - so it may work out even better!

-> FS2004