New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT
-> Hardware

#1: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:41 am
    ----
eCinema says it has a true CRT replacement

LCD panels have traditionally been lagging behind CRT monitors in terms of color response, saturation, accuracy and overall black-level response. Because LCDs are "always lit" by a backlight, deep dark blacks have been the Achilles heel of LCD technology. However, a company named eCinema Systems has announced a new LCD technology that it claims surpasses CRT in virtually every respect.

read more here

looks promising !

fled
Cool

#2: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:14 am
    ----
Rgr Fled. I haven't seen this in person yet, but CRT's IMO always had a 'nicer screen' than LCD's. It would be nice to see that change as LCD's take a bit less 'real estate'... Smile

#3: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: Hangman PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:06 pm
    ----
I used to think so too Bush until here recently..I was tired of the monster monitor on my desk...One of the leading retail manufacturers recently had a 19" wide screen LCD onsale so I said the heck with it and bought one. This particular retailer has no problem with returns and will take things back wihtout a receipt so I had nothing to lose, if I didn't like it I could take it back...Now I have been skeptical of LCD's forever but I must say I absolutely love this monitor..it has an 800/1 contrast ratio which is amazingly bright & clear..there's something about my particular vision that I prefer everything very bright or it's hard for me to see especially in the monitor/television area...The biggest difference I had heard of was in gaming, an IT friend of mine told me a few years back that LCD's just couldn't deliver the quality of a CRT and that although they looked ok but to the discerning eye the games would always have a slightly fuzzy/blurry appearence. I don't think thats true any longer, no one likes there gaming screenshots sharper or clearer than I do and I haven't noticed any difference at all..all in all I've had this LCD for about two months now and I can't see myself putting that monster CRT back on my desk...so my advice, if you find a good quality LCD at a good price and you've been considering it, I'd say do it...The Pro's outway any Cons (And I haven't found one of those yet) and the desk space is so NICE!!!! I'm even considering mounting the LCD on the wall above the desk to clear more room..try that with a CRT!

oh yeah, I absolutely love the widescreen, even though I can't go any higher than 1440X900, I don't think I could even go back to a plain ole square screen...

#4: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:43 am
    ----
Yep, me too.

My old Ilyama has been relegated to the loft (attic - US) now until my office migrates to a new room. I had a blinkered approach to LCD's and wasn't prepared to try one because I'd only seen the cheap ones. One day I decided to buy one unseen online on a recommendation. It wasn't cheap but still wasn't very expensive either.

I bought a Viewsonic 19". It was much clearer / brighter picture than my old CRT and the response is 8ms (the current model is now down to 2ms but you won't notice either because they're so fast).
I hear Samsungs are also as good though I haven't tried one.

Obvious advantages of LCD's are 1) space, 2) they don't have the same effect on the stuff in your head. ie. headaches / eye problems.

Also, I don't seem to need to sit as close to the LCD as I did the CRT.

Native res. is 1280x1024 (which will give you the best / fastest performance) but I have mine set lower 1024x768 for CFS1 and find it helps for web graphics as well

The enduring problem with LCD's is that you can still get the odd 'dead' pixel and it's so probable that they actually write it into the warranty disclaimers. I have one 'red' cell on mine, which pops up on dark backrounds, but it's off the the right edge of the screen and is so small I can live with it.
When they get to grips with these, they'll be rockin'!

#5: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:12 am
    ----
Yep, the CRT's are losing ground as LCD's get better. I had an opportunity to see 8 different manufactured models in a row at a large US retailer a couple months back. There's a BIG difference in different LCD's with most of them so-so in the resolution area. At the moment, I don't recall the name of the one I did like, but Samsung seems to come to mind.

Of the one I did like, the colors were sharp, the picture clear and love the smaller 'footprint' the LCD's provide and I've seen some pretty good prices lately on the 19" and smaller models... Wink

#6: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: Trans_23Location: Chicago, IL PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:50 am
    ----
I just saw an ad in the paper here yesterday for a 20.1" Veiwsonic LCD monitor for $299. Time for me to start some serious shopping. Smile

#7: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:09 pm
    ----
Two good indicators to check are contrast and response times.
Contrast:- Higher = better.
Response:- Lower = better.

Make sure what the vendors policy on "dead pixels" is. If you don't you may have a whole bunch of odd colours and a happy supplier who don't care.

Smile

#8: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: tomclayton PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:56 pm
    ----
The key to getting a sharp image on an LCD is to run at the "optimum resolution" or "native resolution." I have a KDS K717s 17" LCD that runs at 1280x1024. If I run any other resolution, it's guaranteed to be blurred, as is any other LCD. At that resolution, if the PC says that the pixel at 10x20 should be black on a white field, then it will be one tiny black speck on a white field. If I set the monitor to some other resolution, then when the PC tries to turn that same pixel black, the actual location will be somewhere between two physical pixels. the monitor will then have to average out that black level between those two pixels, resulting in blurred edges. I've heard from so many people that say "I just got this new LCD, but it's too blurry!" I get them set at the right resolution, then help them pick up their jawbone after it's fired back up the first time! (If the fonts and icons are too small, there's accessibility options that can be used.)

#9: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:04 pm
    ----
. personaly i have 2x 19in monitors with no probs or down pixels the ones around 3yrs old others 1yr, i had no probs with either since set up pics crisp and clean, dump those big ole table fillers asap......

#10: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:12 pm
    ----
www.gdargaud.net/Hack/...ixels.html

#11: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:13 am
    ----
I bought a 19" NEC MultiSync 1940CX LCD and I love it....And since I run dual monitors the main one will be 21"

(However I am waiting to talk to a buddy about a 32" Plasma monitor he has)

#12: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:54 am
    ----
Shocked Who's the new guy...uhm...dog I mean?....lol

Hiya MD! Wink

#13: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:58 am
    ----
Hi MD !

Good to see ya bud !

fled
Cool

#14: Re: New LCD Technology Outperforms CRT Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:26 pm
    ----
Jerry, it was probably the Samsung...

I ahve been thinking about this one...

www.tigerdirect.ca/app...&CatId=170

or maybe this one

www.newegg.com/product...6824116375

I got rid of my last one because I prefer 1600x1200... cant they get it to 1600X1200? (is that so bad?)...

-> Hardware