Bumper #
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Bumper # Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:01 pm
    ----
This bumper number appears to be "1st Armored Division, 501st Support Batallion". Why would a support batallion have tanks?

Source: www.primeportal.net/st...to_oif.htm

#2: Re: Bumper # Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:16 pm
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

I agree, that left bumper marking looks like 501 SB (Support Battalion) to me also. Shocked

As for why, must have something to do with the new UofA plug and go setup. Many tank units are only taken a few tanks and a lot of the tank crews are picking up Hummers in Kuwait. Maybe the 501st SB is taking a few reserve vehicles that will be issued as-needed for a limited time frame or mission.

That's my very, very wild guess. Still trying to nail down the layout of the Unit of Action Brigades.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#3: Re: Bumper # Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:28 am
    ----
Every FSB (forward support battalion) that supports a heavy maneuver brigade has "float tanks and "float Brads" to replace vehicles that are evacuated to higher level maintenance. Normally one tank and one
Brad per battalion (2 tanks and 1 Brad for an armor bde, 1 tank and 2 Brads for a mech bde).

We used to scratch a crew together and screen the float tank and make sure it was calibrated.

#4: Re: Bumper # Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:28 am
    ----
Hi Sabot! Hi Folks!

- Sabot
Every FSB (forward support battalion) that supports a heavy maneuver brigade has "float tanks and "float Brads" to replace vehicles that are evacuated to higher level maintenance. Normally one tank and one
Brad per battalion (2 tanks and 1 Brad for an armor bde, 1 tank and 2 Brads for a mech bde).

Thanks Sabot! That's good to hear. Now I have to build another M1 just so I can put FSB markings on it and mess the some contest judges! Mr. Green Twisted Evil Mr. Green

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board