Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: KenEstes PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:00 am
    ----
- jcneel
Isn't the vehicle in the first photo an M103A2? I thought the A2's were the ones with the diesel engines - as witnessed by the Patton style engine deck (late M48's and M60's). Although I also read that there were many A1's converted to the A2 configuration, but thought that all of these had gone to the US Marines. Were A2's used by the US Army as well? Seems to be more than one A2 found an an Army base museum or display.

cn

They did not "go to" the Marines, they were USMC tanks. Only the USMC took delivery of the 219 M103A1s, with over 100 improvements from the original 300-tank M103 production run of the mid-50s. The Corps dieselized 160 of these as the A2 in 1964-65. The one Chuck found at Ft Lewis is almost certainly one disposed of from the USMCR tank company at Yakima, WA [now B/4th Tk Bn, earlier Co C].

Chuck, are you at Lewis these days? Ken

#17: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:19 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Mark the 'Tumbleweed' posted some photos of a M103A2 at Yuma Proving Grounds back when he worked there for a few days. Another ex-USMC vehicle that somehow ended up in an Army musuem display.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#18: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:46 pm
    ----
- KenEstes

Not any more! I was up there this summer for ROTC camp. I'm back in Arizona now, where I'm an ROTC instructor.

C

#19: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:54 pm
    ----
- KenEstes
- jcneel
Isn't the vehicle in the first photo an M103A2? I thought the A2's were the ones with the diesel engines - as witnessed by the Patton style engine deck (late M48's and M60's). Although I also read that there were many A1's converted to the A2 configuration, but thought that all of these had gone to the US Marines. Were A2's used by the US Army as well? Seems to be more than one A2 found an an Army base museum or display.

cn

They did not "go to" the Marines, they were USMC tanks. Only the USMC took delivery of the 219 M103A1s, with over 100 improvements from the original 300-tank M103 production run of the mid-50s. The Corps dieselized 160 of these as the A2 in 1964-65. The one Chuck found at Ft Lewis is almost certainly one disposed of from the USMCR tank company at Yakima, WA [now B/4th Tk Bn, earlier Co C].

I was just thinking if there were any US Army M103's lingering around. I realize the USMC had a majority of them, but 3rd Armored Div fielded the M103 for a period of time. Guess I need to see if any SN data is 'discoverable' and try to find one of the Armys M103's.

Perhaps a worthy project....hmmmm

Don

#20: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:19 am
    ----
Chuck, or anyone else, have you seen (recently, in the last 10 years), the M15A1 Half-track GMC that Chris spotted at Lewis in 1995?:

www.toadmanstankpictur.../m15a1.htm

Neil

#21: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: crustytankerLocation: Bowie, MD, USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:54 pm
    ----
Re Hellfish6 seeking an East Coast M103:

An M103A2 pic was posted on geocaching.com by 'coterm59' on Oct 19, 2005. The tank is on display at Hancock Field in Mattydale, NY.

And, of course APG has a T43, pics of which -- sans tracks -- Neil Baumgardner posted on the old AFV News board on May 14, 2005.

Russ Vaughan

#22: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:45 am
    ----
T43s & M103s in the US:

Anniston Army Depot, AL probably has a T43 (formerly at TACOM Warren, MI)
The Patton Museum (Fort Knox, KY) has a T43 in the Richardson Motorpool storage facility
The Ordnance Museum (APG, MD) has the aforementioned T43E1 in storage
The 4th Infantry Division Museum (Fort Hood, TX) has a T43

There may still be an M103 at Fort McClellan, AL?
Linneville, AL has an M103 in a local park
Yuma Proving Ground AZ has an M103
The Marine Corps Mechanized Museum at Camp Pendleton has an M103A2
The Patton Museum (Fort Knox, KY) has an M103A2 in the LST Building
Greensburg, KY has an M103
Radcliff, KY has an M103
Dowagiac, MI has an M103
The New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology in Socorro, NM has an M103
Mattydale, NY has an M103
Rochester, NY has an M103 at the USMC Reserve Center
Euclid, OH has an M103A2 at a Veteran's monument
The 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City has an M103A2