New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:19 pm
    ----
Working on the "great AFV registry" project - since the Air-Ground Museum has been closed for 4 years - and unfortunately I never made it there the 4 years before I lived in the area, argh... - I need some help with what it had & presumably the new National Museum of the U.S. Marine Corps (opens in November) will have.

So far I have the following:
M4A3(75) Sherman USA ind? SN 1953
LVT1 USA ind?
M56 Ontos USA ind?
M60A1 USA ind?
T-34/85 SOV ind?
T-62M SOV/IRQ ind?
T-72M SOV/IRQ ind?
Type 95 Ha-Go JPN ind
Type 97 Shinhoto Chi-Ha JPN ind

What am I missing?

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:17 pm
    ----
Hello Neil:

Here are a few more I remember from when I visited Quantico back in 1994:

M26 Pershing
LVT-3
LVT-4 (?)
LVTP-5A1
Su-76M
M3 75mm GMC (this was being restored when I was there)

There was also a very early armored car (on a Model T chassis?).

The T-62 and T-72 were definitely ex-Iraqi, and the M60A1 had reactive armor on it. I was told that it was the first Marine tank into Kuwait, if memory serves.

Hope this helps,

Scott

#3: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:28 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

Working on the "great AFV registry" project - since the Air-Ground Museum has been closed for 4 years - and unfortunately I never made it there the 4 years before I lived in the area, argh... - I need some help with what it had & presumably the new National Museum of the U.S. Marine Corps (opens in November) will have.

So far I have the following:

M56 Ontos USA ind?

Neil

M56 Ontos? Possible type-o? M50 is the Ontos, the M56 is the 90mm SPAT used by US Army Airborne which I am sure you know? Shocked

I made it down there sometime back in the early 80's. I remember a lot of AFVs parked around the place, but I don't remember any details. Sad I think I remember seeing a M41 Walker which surprised me.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#4: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:38 pm
    ----
Yeah, I meant M50. Typo on my part.

Neil

#5: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:03 pm
    ----
Neil,
You can add two more ex-Iraqi vehicles to the list: BMP-1 and Chinese built T-69 Command Tank to your list.

#6: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:46 am
    ----
I discovered there is an online gallery for construction photos at the new museum:
www.usmcmuseum.org/new...allery.asp

A couple of pics of note - not a lot of AFVs yet, but lots of "wingie-things."

Neil

#7: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:15 pm
    ----
Wow... one Alligator is still alive...

#8: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:31 pm
    ----
Neil

Did you get pictures of it when it was at Aberdeen? I'm pretty sure it was up there to get worked on last year

#9: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:22 pm
    ----
Yep. Hopefully I got a few good pics at APG today, despite the weather...

Neil

#10: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:25 pm
    ----
A few more pics from the construction of the new museum - opening is now just weeks away!

Neil

#11: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:01 pm
    ----
Neil

I heard it is open....

The M50 is an M50A1. I'll see about getting the USMC # for ya.

Don

#12: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:45 pm
    ----
The website, USMC Museum says it officially opens to the public on Nov. 13.

#13: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:51 pm
    ----
According to the museum, the following will be on display:

LVT1, Tarawa scene

M4 Sherman & M5 Stuart, Peleliu scene

LVT3 (and M26 Pershing?), Korea scene

M50A1 Ontos, Hue City scene

That leaves a lot of the old collection still in storage...

Neil

#14: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:26 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
That leaves a lot of the old collection still in storage...Neil

Whereabouts in storage? I have a couple of contacts there.

Cool

#15: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:37 pm
    ----
AFAIK, they're in storage on-base (MCB Quantico), probably where the old Marine Air-Ground museum used to be... I think the new museum is technically outside the base...

Just shot you an e-mail.

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board