New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Quantico collection info help needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:57 pm
    ----
Just a few 'sneak-peak' photos.....

Don

#17: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:34 pm
    ----
Some pictures I took today at the new museum. Its a really good museum, very well done as I expected/ A small part of me wishes I had visited the old Air-Ground Museum, which was sorta an old style collection of vehicles & equipment in hangers, but this museum is very well done IMO - I wouldnt expect anything less from what I remember one general officer calling the "most well-armed public relations organization in the world."

Here's the museum website: www.usmcmuseum.org/

To start off, from the WWII gallery - M3A1 Stuart

So Stuarts also had combs!

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

#18: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:37 pm
    ----
M4A3 Sherman - good portrayal of infantry-armor cooperation, note the tank phone.

Anti-tank gun

Neil

#19: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:42 pm
    ----
On to the Korea gallery.

M26 Pershing - a very impressive display IMO.

LVT3

Neil

#20: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:53 pm
    ----
I know Don has been waiting for this - the Vietnam gallery.

M50A1 Ontos

Neil

#21: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:07 pm
    ----
Neil

Can you look back at the pictures you took at Aberdeen (About a year ago)of the Ontos that had gone thru refurb when it was in teh warehouse. Can we tell if this is the same vehicle?

#22: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:08 pm
    ----
And finally, from the Leatherneck Gallery in the center of the museum:

LVT1

Note the Curtiss Jenny providing close air support Wink

Unfortunately, the museum owns quite a bit of interesting armor that is not on display, including:

LVT4
LVTP5A1
M2A3 light tank (transferred from the Ordnance Museum in 1961)
M5A1 Stuart
Type 4 Ho-Ro (captured on Okinawa, also from the Ordnance Museum - only survivor?)
Type 95 Ha-Go
Type 97 Shinhoto Chi-Ha
and an early armored car...

Thus far my inquiries for a behind-the-scenes look havent gone anywhere... Sad

Neil

#23: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:12 pm
    ----
Bob, yes, it pretty much has to be the same Ontos - ie the one that "came out of the box" Wink

Here's a before (to the after)

And you with the box it came out of Wink

At any rate I'm not aware of Quantico having another one, and Don's page doesnt list one either.

The LVT1 also went through the Ordnance Museum refurb facility - look pretty good dont they?

Neil

#24: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:09 pm
    ----
They are the same...

Neil ( or anyone ) did you happen to notice the USMC # on that display Ontos in the museum?

Don

#25: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:03 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
And finally, from the Leatherneck Gallery in the center of the museum:

LVT1

Neil

Nice shots?

Walkaround of LVT-1 is possible? Smile

#26: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:05 am
    ----
Don, I didnt write anything down, but you appear to be in luck. Here's a crop of one of the pics:

It appears to me to read 228738. Of course they could have just based that on a picture...

Neil

#27: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:11 am
    ----
Taranov, sure. Odd angles of course due to the display. These sides arent quite as exciting.

Neil

#28: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:41 am
    ----
Wow! Those are the best dioramas that I've yet seen. There have to be some modelmakers in their design crew.

#29: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:56 am
    ----
Agreed, there were also some good dioramas I didnt take any pictures of. Like the Chosin resorvoir scene.

On the more amusing side were the booths you could step into, in the "making Marines" gallery, to hear a DI shouting at you...

Neil

#30: Re: New National Museum of the Marine Corps - pics Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:40 am
    ----
- Cloudy
Wow! Those are the best dioramas that I've yet seen. There have to be some modelmakers in their design crew.

Same here, superb job of arranging dramatic displays.

-> AFV News Discussion Board