Some Shermies
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Some Shermies Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:25 pm
    ----
Hello again,

Here are some Shermans from around Ft. Lewis, each a bit unique.

#1 is in apparently good shape and pretty complete. A mostly complete radial engine visible through partially open access doors. The fairly complete interior that I photographed by the "reach in" technique through an open port in the turret.

#2 is in less good shape without an engine that I can see. I got interior photos through the missing bow gun and the open loader's hatch.

#3 is in the post museum. It has "the comb" on the glacis. The museum IDs it as an M4A1.

No S/Ns visible on any of them. Would the casting number on the turret side mean anything?

Any help from the Shermie fans in getting definitive model numbers would be appreciated.

C

#2: Re: Some Shermies Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:30 pm
    ----
I believe, according to some pic on Chris Hughes' site, the last one is an M4A1E9.

www.toadmanstankpictur...m4a1e9.htm

Neil

#3: Re: Some Shermies Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:32 pm
    ----
Top one is an M4A1(W)76; second one is an M4A1E8, bottom one could be a Ram.

#4: Re: Some Shermies Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:03 pm
    ----
My favorite Sherman! The M4A1E8

#5: Re: Some Shermies Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:17 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I have to agree with Neil on that 3rd Sherman. Duck bills on both side of the VVSS 3 bar cleat type track block makes that vehicle an 'E9'.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#6: Re: Some Shermies Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:51 pm
    ----
It looks like the E9 has received a new coat of paint during the past 11 years. Kurt Laughlin had given me some serial number info on the E9 awhile back but of course, I can't find the info.

I remember seeing the M4A1(76)HVSS back in '95 while up there for my two week AT. At that time, it was parked in front of some armor unit's hq, next to I believe the other M4A1(76) or a M4A3(76). To me, the HVSS Sherman really stood out because of the non-standard commander's cupola. IIRC, at that time, both of the Shermans were painted in the dark o.d. like you see on many tanks at Knox.

-> AFV News Discussion Board