Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:54 pm
    ----
Perhaps some Shermans from Germany or elsewhere?

Neil

#2: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:35 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

Sorry, no 1st AD items yet Sad . We don't even have any 1st Cav Div items yet. Crying or Very sad

Will report, ASAP, the arrival of anything new. Shocked
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:44 pm
    ----
Cool, thanks. Only AFVs on display on post are the following right?:

M4 High-Speed Tractor USA out
M42 Duster USA out
M60A0 USA out Removed from WSMR
M163 USA out

Neil

#4: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:42 pm
    ----
Neil

What about McGregor Range & White Sands Missle Range?

Although not in Texas, they do fall under some organizational control of Ft Bliss.

I remember some of the original captured V-2 missles on Ft Bliss & one at White Sands. Not an AFV, interesting still the same.

Perhaps a Sgt York floating around also....

Roy, got any intel on that?

Don

#5: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:08 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

M42 Duster USA out
M163 USA out
Neil

Correct! What does the "out" stand for?

There is also a M19 SP twin 40mm AAA vehicle on display inside the building.
Just added within the last two months is a Sgt. York which is also inside the building.
There is a Chapperal version of the M548 also inside. Not armor, but a member of the M113 APC family.
A M15 halftrack with 37mm and twin 50 cal.s inside the building.
There was a M16 quad 50 halftrack, but I need to check on that one. Seams like the last time I was in there, that one wasn't there along with a couple of other items. Maybe a major case of CRS. Hope to go by there sometime this week or next, will double check for it and any others.
They have just added a M-35 2.5 ton gun truck with the Maxim quad 50 turret on it's two wheel trailier mounted in the cargo bed per the operator's manuel.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#6: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:35 am
    ----
Hi Don! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

What about McGregor Range & White Sands Missle Range?
Although not in Texas, they do fall under some organizational control of Ft Bliss.

The McGregor Range complex is part of Ft. Bliss while it's down range impact area belongs to the Bureau of Land Management which leases that land to Ft. Bliss. White Sands Missile Range is however a separate military command, just like the Hospital here in El Paso.

Last time I was out at McGregor range, a few months ago, I don't remember any thing in the barrack area. There might be something out at the firing lines. If so, I would think it would be an anti-aircraft item sense that is what McGregor is used for.

- Dontos

I remember some of the original captured V-2 missles on Ft Bliss & one at White Sands. Not an AFV, interesting still the same.

Perhaps a Sgt York floating around also....
Roy, got any intel on that?

There are a number of missiles at Ft Bliss and up at White Sands there is a missile park which has just about every type of rocket and missile that was tested up there.

The Ft Bliss museum just added a Sgt York. The museum had a curator who didn't want a York because it never served at Ft. Bliss in an active unit. After he retired last year, his replacement was offered one that was on a list for use as a hard target, that guy went after it. It had been setting outside in the weather for a number of years. It is now inside the new building with a very nice looking desert camo job on it. I have tried to take pictures, but it is too dark inside the building for my cheap camera. Sad

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#7: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:40 am
    ----
Hey Neil!

Would you like to know if there is more that one of an item on display?

Like the M42 Dusters, I think there are four of them. Two in front of unit Headquarters, one outside in front of the museum and one inside.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#8: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:49 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

M42 Duster USA out
M163 USA out
Neil

Correct! What does the "out" stand for?

out is for outdoor display, as opposed to ind for indoor display, std for stored, and wre for wreck.

There is also a M19 SP twin 40mm AAA vehicle on display inside the building.
Just added within the last two months is a Sgt. York which is also inside the building.

Thanks for the info. I wonder where the York came from, if not elsewhere on Fort Bliss... Any chance you could find out? Might help avoid a duplication on the list...

There is a Chapperal version of the M548 also inside. Not armor, but a member of the M113 APC family.
A M15 halftrack with 37mm and twin 50 cal.s inside the building.
There was a M16 quad 50 halftrack, but I need to check on that one. Seams like the last time I was in there, that one wasn't there along with a couple of other items. Maybe a major case of CRS. Hope to go by there sometime this week or next, will double check for it and any others.
They have just added a M-35 2.5 ton gun truck with the Maxim quad 50 turret on it's two wheel trailier mounted in the cargo bed per the operator's manuel.

Thanks again.

Neil

#9: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:52 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

The Ft Bliss museum just added a Sgt York. The museum had a curator who didn't want a York because it never served at Ft. Bliss in an active unit. After he retired last year, his replacement was offered one that was on a list for use as a hard target, that guy went after it. It had been setting outside in the weather for a number of years. It is now inside the new building with a very nice looking desert camo job on it. I have tried to take pictures, but it is too dark inside the building for my cheap camera. Sad

Any idea exactly where it came from?

Neil

#10: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:54 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hey Neil!

Would you like to know if there is more that one of an item on display?

Like the M42 Dusters, I think there are four of them. Two in front of unit Headquarters, one outside in front of the museum and one inside.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

Yes, thanks much!

Neil

#11: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:02 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

M42 Duster USA out
M163 USA out

Corrections to your above info.
The M4 HST is inside the building.
There is a M42 and M163 out in front and another pair inside. Nice thing about the M163 that is inside, is the ramp is down so you can see inside.

- Neil_Baumgardner

I wonder where the York came from, if not elsewhere on Fort Bliss... Any chance you could find out? Might help avoid a duplication on the list...

I don't remember which base he said it was at. I was surpised that it was NOT from Ft. Bliss or White Sands Missile Range. I don't remember other that is was one of the southeastern states. Will try get that info for you next visit. Smile
Sgtscoutsout!

P.S. Roger on the multiple items. I think along with the other two Dusters, there are some more Valcans.

#12: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:11 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

I don't remember which base he said it was at. I was surpised that it was NOT from Ft. Bliss or White Sands Missile Range. I don't remember other that is was one of the southeastern states. Will try get that info for you next visit. Smile
Sgtscoutsout!

There is/was a Sergeant York at the Sgt. Alvin C. York State Historic Park in Pall Mall, TN - but thats not a base and I doubt they'd take that one...

Neil

#13: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:40 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

There is/was a Sergeant York at the Sgt. Alvin C. York State Historic Park in Pall Mall, TN - but thats not a base and I doubt they'd take that one...

Neil

Tennesse doesn't sound right. I remember he said it was waiting to be used as a range target and my guess would be that it wasn't on display anywhere. I think this one was saved for the scarp pile.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#14: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:32 pm
    ----
I wonder if it came from Eglin or Tyndall AFB? They do weapons testing and tactics development down there in the Florida panhandle.

#15: Re: Fort Bliss - Roy, any new 1AD AFVs on display yet? Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:23 pm
    ----
One of the most interesting and rare AFVs in Fort Bliss - last survived Autocannone DA 90/53

Any chance of detailed walkaround? Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board