This turret cant be original right? M108?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:35 pm
    ----
I drove down to the VA Hospital in Hampton yesterday. This Arty Piece sits at the corner of Woodfin St. and Harris Ave. Right scross from Building 15, which is a Boiler building built in 1909. You can see by the VA area hospital map, where "The Hampton" is located. A location that few people will ever really see it.
The number 5 is clearly stamped into both front tow lugs. At the end of the muzzle was WTV-C4116, but I could not make out anything else. I also took apicture of the casting marks that were at the base of the cannon barrel.
She still seems to have an engine, as the fan-tower could still be seen through a hole in top of the engine deck. There was a plate missing on top of the turret so I stuck my arm in and snapped a few pictures.
The road wheels seem to be deteriorating in rather odd fashion. They also appear to be fiberglass the way they are peeling and curling, any ideas? I couldn't find any other stamping or markings anywhere.

#17: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:16 pm
    ----
As had been said before - its the T195E1 RD3

Cool

#18: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:32 pm
    ----
Wow, those roadwheels are horrible! Aluminum sometimes corrodes in such a stratified manner but it sure looks like there's some sort of fibrous matter in the debris.

#19: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:31 pm
    ----
"As had been said before - its the T195E1 RD3"

Does the fact that its a "T" model mean its a Test vehicle? What does the RD3 stand for?

#20: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:42 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Does the fact that its a "T" model mean its a Test vehicle? What does the RD3 stand for?

T denotes a test vehicle, gun etc. Though its anybodies bet as to exactly what T stands for some say Test some say Type - I prefer to keep out of this arguement Smile

RD3... again your guess is as good as mine - My bet in on Research Development.

Cool

#21: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:37 pm
    ----
Outside vehicles at VA Military Museum

#22: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:12 am
    ----
I plan to get to the VA Military Museum within the next two weekends. I was there a year ago, the last time I was to Ft Eustis. This time I plan to record serial numbers and reg/USA numbers if possible.

#23: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:29 am
    ----
Jeff,
Would you mind trying to get good pictures of any artillery inside for me. Especially WWI pieces, they have 2 small 57mm french mortars, two 3" field guns and a Holt tractor. All of these I would really appreciate pics of. I have very good pictures of everything outside and I can ID each piece for you. Thanks AJ

#24: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:59 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

Super set of photos! Thank you.

- SFC_Jeff_Button

The road wheels seem to be deteriorating in rather odd fashion. They also appear to be fiberglass the way they are peeling and curling, any ideas?

My guess is those road wheels are from a time when the Army was testing other materials.

The above photo is from "Design and Development of Fighting Vehicles" by R.M. Ogorkiewicz, 1968, Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 68-24052.

My 2 cents on those road wheels.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#25: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:57 pm
    ----
AJ, not a problem, your wish is my command, (so to speak). I had pictures of the items you mention, from my visit last year but I cant find them so I will be sure to get good pictures this time.

Roy, I think you've answered that question concerning the roadwheels. I wish this old Arty piece could fins a better home, (say Ft Bliss?!?!) where its rareness might be better appriciated. I'm afraid that any rolling movement would probably turn those road wheels to dust.

Neil, was this vehicle and it's exact location already listed on your armor listing?

This Saturday I'm hoping to get to Langly AFB and Ft Story as well. I like my armor but all military items interest me and I hate to admit, I love wingy-things too. I may even post a few wingy things here if they look good enough.

#26: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:33 pm
    ----
Jeff

There used to be an 'Aerospace park' on Mercury Blvd outside Langley (I think near either LaSalle Blvd or King St.) with a bunch of older planes. I believe a few were pretty rare birds. I know they had a Hawker Kestral (predicessor to the Harrier) that was used by the Tri-National Test Squadron. I remember an F-89, T-33, F-100, and F-104, and I think others.

#27: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:31 pm
    ----
Jeff, here's some options in your neck of the woods.

You may want to check out the MacArthur Memorial in Norfolk. I seem to remember something about it having a Stuart?
www.macarthurmemorial.org/ Maybe you could confirm that? Either way it may be worth checking out, I've never had the chance.

If you havent already, take the Nofolk harbor tour that includes the naval base - dont worry about the base bus tour, the harbor tour is much better!
www.navalbasecruises.com/

Naval Air Station Oceana also does tours, but I havent had a chance to do that either...
www.nasoceana.navy.mil/Visitors.htm

There's an Air Power Park And Aviation History Center, I drove by it last time on a recent trip...
shorterlink.com/?59KCX3

In Hampton there's the Virginia Air & Space Center
www.vasc.org/

Near Richmond is the Virginia Aviation Museum
www.vam.smv.org/

A little bit further is Fort AP Hill, perhaps you could check that out if you have the time...

M3A3 Stuart USA out SN 10572, RN 3010572 1
M4A3E8 Sherman USA out
M7B2 Priest USA out
M7B2 Priest USA out
M41 Walker Bulldog USA out
M59 USA out Rare mid-production version 2
T49 Walker Bulldog USA out One of two built; Front Gate, Rte 301

And yes I do have "The Hampton" listed, but I'll update the specific location info now...

Neil

#28: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:05 am
    ----
Jeff I have maps of Fort Story, Monroe and all the Harbor Defenses of the Chesapeake showing all the Gun emplacements if you want I can scan some of them and send to your email address if you have any use for them....BTW if anyone is interested this is the site for US Fortifications
www.cdsg.org/

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total

#29: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:08 am
    ----
From what I remember of a brief visit to see the Fort Story coastal defenses, most of the modern emplacements were deteriorating into the surf...

Neil

#30: Re: This turret cant be original right? M108? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:20 am
    ----
Neil, you must have missed the 4-16inch batteries and the 3-6 inch batteries all in good shape minus armament. Neil I believe what you saw was a AA battery it is falling into the sea, did you happen to notice the seawall built with DUKW's, I have lots of maps for all US Coastal fortifications 1900-1945 if someone needs one or two.

Jeff I have maps of Fort Story, Monroe and all the Harbor Defenses of the Chesapeake showing all the Gun emplacements if you want I can scan some of them and send to your email address if you have any use for them....BTW if anyone is interested this is the site for US Fortifications
www.cdsg.org/

-> AFV News Discussion Board