Update on the development of the USMC's EFV
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Update on the development of the USMC's EFV Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:22 pm
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Update on the development of the USMC's EFV Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:05 am
    ----
My opinion is that the EFV will be a victim of operational costs in Iraq. I think we are entering a period similar to the mid 60s and Vietnam. Anything that can't show an quick payback in current operations will be sacrificed on the alter of reducing costs. A long term program that requires big bucks up front with no visable return for 3-5 years will be hard to keep alive. There may be small scale research but I don't see it reaching full production.

Given the current use pattern of the AAV7 as land based troop carriers what does the EFV offer? Where are the beaches that we are planning on storming that need the capabilities the EFV has over the AAV7?

I think this is actually a sign of the bigger question of what is the mission of the Marine Corps ( I know for some I am now treading on sacred ground) The Corps as we know it now is an outgrowth of the Pacific campaign of WWII. Since then how has the Marine Corps employment differed from any high quality Army unit? Of course the same questions can (and probably should) be raised about the airborne units in the Army.

I think that in the current environment the mission of both the airborne and the Marines is to provide a training and weeding out organization for the Special Operations folks.

#3: Re: Update on the development of the USMC's EFV Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:36 am
    ----
I know the Marines sent a team to observe the Platform Performance Demonstration the Army held in Knox. The EFV is a long term project, but the PPD that was held had the purpose of buying an off the shelf product that can be fielded within a year.

I'm still curious as to which interim vehicle will eventually be chosen.

#4: Re: Update on the development of the USMC's EFV Author: GT98 PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:52 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Given the current use pattern of the AAV7 as land based troop carriers what does the EFV offer? Where are the beaches that we are planning on storming that need the capabilities the EFV has over the AAV7?

The thing I heard was that the AAV7 wasn't intended to be used as a land based APC for long periods of time and doesnt hold up very well in that role, where as the EFV was..

#5: Re: Update on the development of the USMC's EFV Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:22 pm
    ----
- GT98
- bsmart

The thing I heard was that the AAV7 wasn't intended to be used as a land based APC for long periods of time and doesnt hold up very well in that role, where as the EFV was..

a 10 Million Dollar APC!!!!! Surprised Surprised Surprised

#6: Re: Update on the development of the USMC's EFV Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:20 am
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: Update on the development of the USMC's EFV Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:44 am
    ----
But for extended land use what does a Bradley or an 'Product Improved M-113' cost? Why Are Marines involved in extended land operations anyway? Why not use an Army Mech Infantry unit for that?

Oh the Marines are available because they aren't needed for amphibious operations. In that case why do they need high speed amphib vehicles?

-> AFV News Discussion Board