Howard Thompson needs more help on "Arizona" M551 project...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Howard Thompson needs more help on "Arizona" M551 project... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:56 pm
    ----
Hi Guys,
Many of you will recall Howard J. Thompson and his magnificent 1/8 RC scale model of M551 Sheridan "Arizona". Well, he's still polishing the details and emailed me a question to which I have no answer (I never saw a cot new enough to have a container, and slept on a suspended stretcher anyway).

Calling on the membership to see what we can come up with for this incredible creation.

He writes:

"I'm still at it. I am trying to find out what markings appeared on the cardboard square tubes that the trooper's cots came in when the cots were first issued.

I see on a photo of the 'ARIZONA' , just after Sgt Vega took possession, that there are four such tubes strapped to the back of the bustle rack. He identified them as containing the cots. He said that in a month or so the tubes fell apart and then they strapped the cots themselves to the bustle rack.

I have the tubes in place on the model because it was a lot simpler to make the tubes than make cots.

I can sure use some help to identify the markings."

Roy, maybe you can shed some light on this one...?

(and certainly I've invited Howard to come on over and join us at our new crib)

Thanks!

#2: Re: Howard Thompson needs more help on "Arizona" M551 projec Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:34 pm
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

Square box for new sleeping cots? Surprised

I have seen stacks of new cots come in large boxes that were straped down to a wooden palet, but I have never seen one come in an individaul box.

Sorry, that's a new one on me. Sad
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Howard Thompson needs more help on "Arizona" M551 project... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:25 pm
    ----
Could the tubes have been recycled artillery charge containers that troops had modified to hold folded up cots? I'll admit it's been a long time since I fooled with a folded up GI cot (I was in the Air Force and only had to stay in a non permanentbarracks or TLQ on one exercise in my 9 years Smile

#4: Re: Howard Thompson needs more help on "Arizona" M551 project... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:35 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Could the tubes have been recycled artillery charge containers that troops had modified to hold folded up cots? I'll admit it's been a long time since I fooled with a folded up GI cot (I was in the Air Force and only had to stay in a non permanentbarracks or TLQ on one exercise in my 9 years Smile

I confess to thinking along these lines myself, but all those tubes (and we used aplenty) were round, not square. I have no idea what the boxes in question looked like, because I've likely never seen them, but I'm not about to question Sgt. Vega's recollection of this either.

This is where a quartermaster guy would come in mighty handy, I'm thinking.

#5: Re: Howard Thompson needs more help on "Arizona" M551 project... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:34 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- bsmart

I confess to thinking along these lines myself, but all those tubes (and we used aplenty) were round, not square. I have no idea what the boxes in question looked like, because I've likely never seen them, but I'm not about to question Sgt. Vega's recollection of this either.

This is where a quartermaster guy would come in mighty handy, I'm thinking.

DUH I missed the SQUARE part.

By the way I was at the local hobby store today and in the section with Gaming miniatures ran across someone and started talking. Turns out he was assigned to a CAV unit with M-114s at Ft Bliss then in Europe back in the 70's I invited him over here and sent him the link this evening so we may have another 'Lingleteer' here soon.

#6: Re: Howard Thompson needs more help on "Arizona" M551 project... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:57 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I invited him over here and sent him the link this evening so we may have another 'Lingleteer' here soon.

Bob,
Strictly speaking, I believe they are collectively known as "Lingleberries". Laughing

#7: Re: Howard Thompson needs more help on "Arizona" M551 project... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:37 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- bsmart
I invited him over here and sent him the link this evening so we may have another 'Lingleteer' here soon.

Bob,
Strictly speaking, I believe they are collectively known as "Lingleberries". Laughing

I thought since the elite Assyrian troops who rode into battle in Chariots were Charioteers, and the elite French troops equiped with that cutting edge weapon the musket were Musketeers, the dashing troops who manned the premier recon platform of the Cold War must be

Lingleteers

#8: Re: Howard Thompson needs more help on "Arizona" M551 project... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:41 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I thought since the elite Assyrian troops who rode into battle in Chariots were Charioteers, and the elite French troops equiped with that cutting edge weapon the musket were Musketeers, the dashing troops who manned the premier recon platform of the Cold War must be

Lingleteers

Which means the world only narrowly missed the spectacle of the Germans fielding a corps of "Mausketeers"....

...but I digress. We now return this thread to it's originally scheduled topic, which is already in progress.....

-> AFV News Discussion Board