Where do I find serial numbers on an M114 Lingle?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Where do I find serial numbers on an M114 Lingle? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:42 pm
    ----
I stumbeled across one at an out of the way American Legion and want to supply Neil with as much information as possible. I could not find any stamped numbers on the exterior.

For all the Lingleteers out there - Are there any serial numbers on the exterior of an M-114?

#2: Re: Where do I find serial numbers on an M114 Lingle? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:27 pm
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

The only place I remember the serial number being was inside on a data plate up the driver's area on the left wall. If it was stamped on the outside someplace, no one I ever worked with knew of such a location.

Best I remember.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#3: Re: M114 Serial numbers - Now Found near I-70 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:48 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

The only place I remember the serial number being was inside on a data plate up the driver's area on the left wall. If it was stamped on the outside someplace, no one I ever worked with knew of such a location.

Best I remember.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

That's what I thought I remembered from a thread way back. Oh well

I made a little detour today on the way home from Pittsburgh. Just off I-70 in Hancock, MD is an American Leegion with a display out front

They have a Lingle

A Nike Ajax

And a Cannon that I thought was a French or German Cannon from WWI when I first looked at it.

Then I clambered on it to check out the markings that are usually near the breech and found

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to try and contact the organization and see what they know

#4: Re: Where do I find serial numbers on an M114 Lingle? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:48 pm
    ----
I have noticed there's a lot of M114 monuments out there - although M60s are far & away the most common! But frankly, model & location are basically enough...

Neil

#5: Re: Where do I find serial numbers on an M114 Lingle? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:55 pm
    ----
Obviously Japanese (or at least it looks like that to me). Here's the closest match I can find - a Krupp 10.5cm cannon, perhaps its a (relatively) new carriage for an old gun? Did you look at the breech to see if anything was written/stamped there?

www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/k10.jpg

Neil

#6: Re: Where do I find serial numbers on an M114 Lingle? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:43 am
    ----
4th photo shows breech markings that I saw.

It looks larger than a 105 but not quite a 155.

I need to go back with a ladder. The way it is mounted makes it hard to look at clesely and there was a function going on at the Legion Hall.

#7: Re: M114 Serial numbers - Now Found near I-70 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:08 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

[quote="bsmart"]
Just off I-70 in Hancock, MD is an American Legion with a display out front
They have a Lingle

Looks like an early M114(A0) and looks like most of it is still there.

Hey Bob, if you do get up that way again, could you please take a picture of the rear and the top. Looks like the slope behind it will let you get both in one shot.

Thanks for this shot.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#8: Re: M114 Serial numbers - Now Found near I-70 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:32 am
    ----
[quote="bsmart"]
- Roy_A_Lingle

And a Cannon that I thought was a French or German Cannon from WWI when I first looked at it.

Then I clambered on it to check out the markings that are usually near the breech and found

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to try and contact the organization and see what they know

Its a Type 96 150mmm howitzer though its lost its shield at some stage.

Can you do us a walkaround if your going back that way sometime Roy?

#9: Re: M114 Serial numbers - Now Found near I-70 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:35 am
    ----
Hi Jim! Hi Folks!

[quote="JimWeb"]
- bsmart

- Roy_A_Lingle

Can you do us a walkaround if your going back that way sometime Roy?

Hold on there Jim! Bob is the one who found that cannon! And that is Bob you are quoting. Don't understand how my name got mixed up with that cannon. I can't tell one Type ## cannon from another.

Confuzed!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: M114 Serial numbers - Now Found near I-70 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:45 am
    ----
[quote="JimWeb"]
- bsmart
- Roy_A_Lingle

Oh yeah.... Thanks Jim...

I'd bet this is an APG Ordnance Museum item that was given to this American Legion post...

Here's some info on the Type 96...

www3.plala.or.jp/takih...96-150.htm

Type 96 15cm Howitzer
Introduced Year : 1937
Caliber : 149.1 mm
Barrel Length : 3.523 m
EL Angle of Fire : -5 to +65 Degrees
AZ Angle of Fire : 30 Degrees
Shell Weight : 31.3 Kg
Muzzle Velocity : 540 m/sec
Weight : 4.14 ton
Range : 11,900 m
Production Qty : 440

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type 96 is the modern Howitzer drawn by a tractor. It was first used in the Sino-Japanese War and was hightly praised from the users. Type 96 was used as the main howitzer of the IJA artillery units until the end of WWII.

Neil

#11: Re: M114 Serial numbers - Now Found near I-70 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:44 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

Hold on there Jim! Bob is the one who found that cannon! And that is Bob you are quoting. Don't understand how my name got mixed up with that cannon. I can't tell one Type ## cannon from another.

I was just checking you were awake and fully functioning this morning Wink

My apologies to Bob.

Cool

#12: Re: M114 Serial numbers - Now Found near I-70 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:07 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

Looks like an early M114(A0) and looks like most of it is still there.

Hey Bob, if you do get up that way again, could you please take a picture of the rear and the top. Looks like the slope behind it will let you get both in one shot.

Thanks for this shot.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

Okay I just happened to take that shot also Wink

#13: Re: Where do I find serial numbers on an M114 Lingle? Author: vevilos PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:01 pm
    ----
A Type 96, 15cm Howitzer walk-around (especially for those of you who can read Japanese)

http://sus3041.web.infoseek.co.jp/contents/gun_db/t96_15cm.htm

#14: Re: Where do I find serial numbers on an M114 Lingle? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:11 pm
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

THANKS for the other view. Except for the paint job and lose track tension, that vehicle looks very good for it's age.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#15: Re: Where do I find serial numbers on an M114 Lingle? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:18 am
    ----
Hi all,

Found a hidden Lingle earlier today, just stumbled across it. This one has a surprise. I'll get pictures up soon, but we are wrapping up here tonight and tomorrow, so I'll be busy. Hopefully I can find a hotel with internet tomorrow night!

C

-> AFV News Discussion Board