AMD to buy ATI
-> Hardware

#1: AMD to buy ATI Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:44 am
    ----
AMD seen close to $5.5 billion chip deal
Source says Applied Micro Devices could announce deal with #2 Canadian chipmaker as early as Monday.

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) -- -- Advanced Micro Devices, the No. 2 supplier of computer processors,
is close to a deal to buy graphics chip maker ATI for $5.5 billion,
a source familiar with the situation said on Friday.

read more here

Wondering what this is gonna cost us Rolling Eyes

#2: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:00 am
    ----
This is fairly logical.
AMD have worked closely with ATi for a while now, as has Intel and nVidia.
It has been observed that both cpu's tend to work a little better with their respective graphic partner.

Last edited by Shades on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:22 am
    ----
- Shades
ATi have worked closely with ATi for a while now

I presume in the excitment you ment to type AMD have worked closely with ATi for a while now

fled
Wink

#4: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:28 am
    ----
sob.
lol

#5: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:36 am
    ----
That news really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. As Shades said, they've been working with ATI for a while now... Wink

Also, remember when AMD started hosting Nvidia mainboard chipsets? Hmmm, makes you wonder now doesn't it? Are we going to see ATI mainboard chipsets now?

#6: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:55 am
    ----
Think they already been working on it Bushy.
Can't find a link now but I'm sure it's been intimated this year, if not last.
Personally I think it would be better if things didn't go that road.
It's okay for us but may be better for general users not to have that much choice.
Just make chipsets that work well with either.

#7: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:05 pm
    ----
I agree Shade and I still have one chipset that's left a bad taste in my mouth... VIA...lol

Still, with Nvidia based chipset mainboards, it seems as if that helped AMD grab a better part of the market. It does make me wonder about ATI though... Wink

#8: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:39 pm
    ----
From AMD's website.
www.amd.com/us-en/Corp...99,00.html

#9: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:26 pm
    ----
LOL....

Thanks Shades, I guess that'll put all rumors to rest...lol

#10: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:27 am
    ----
Wink

#11: Re: AMD to buy ATI Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:03 am
    ----
now with some good ole Canadian technology, AMD might get they're shite together Mr. Green

-> Hardware