Carousel Saumur
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Re: Carousel Saumur Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:34 am
    ----
Wow, those are some seriously big pictures! So much for automatice resizing...

Rik...Could the wire be for a squib charge in the muzzle, to 'simulate' firing the gun?

C

#2: Re: Carousel Saumur Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:09 am
    ----
I also think it's to simulate firing the gun..

Cheers,

Pierre-Olivier

#3: Re: Carousel Saumur Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:41 am
    ----
Simulating firing the main gun is most likely the purpose but they could have done that from inside the tank, unless the gun is welded shut or cut up which I doubt. I'm much more surprised that they don't seem to have the "proper" secondary armament, the solid jacket MG34.

Cheers,
Rik

#4: Re: Carousel Saumur Author: masada31 PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:07 am
    ----
Sorry for the huge pic's hopefully these are more like it.The horse element lasts from 3PM till 6PM the armour back this year only from 6.30PM for 45 mins or so.27.50 Euro a ticket but well worth it discount entry to the museum that weekend with an event ticket.
Steve

#5: Re: Carousel Saumur Author: masada31 PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:13 am
    ----
some more from the show....

#6: Re: Carousel Saumur Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:51 am
    ----
Much better, many thanks Steve. FYI, this is the first time they have incorporated museum vehicles in several years. Last year it was all horses... Hopefully I'll be able to attend someday...

Neil

#7: Re: Carousel Saumur Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:58 am
    ----
BTW, Steve, instead of uploading attachments to the message board, I highly recommend using photobucket.com. Its free as long as you dont upload like more than 250 MB or somethingm and allows for linking to message boards like this one. Then this message board automatically resizes the pic.

Neil

#8: Re: Carousel Saumur Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:32 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
BTW, Steve, instead of uploading attachments to the message board, I highly recommend using photobucket.com. Its free as long as you dont upload like more than 250 MB or somethingm and allows for linking to message boards like this one. Then this message board automatically resizes the pic.

Neil

Hi "Masada"....
Yes, what Neil says is correct and officially recommended. The huge images are nice, but mean a lot of scrolling around and for us Curmudgeons In Armorâ„¢ with decrepit joints, that's asking a lot. The board here has a default setting that resized to 600X800 which is a good size that fits on most screens at most resolution. By doing as attachments, you are effectively defeating that feature (unintentionally, I realize...no foul is implied).

If you could either:
Upload to Photobucket (what I use), or ImageShack or a similar service...or just use the Photo Gallery feature you get here at Com-Central (see upper left menu, then "create" your own album) and link from there (only links at this site, however...bandwidth considerations).

In fact, if you'd so upload your images and then edit your posts with the "sizable" links, that'd be grand! As you'll have noticed, the whole thread is shifted because of the opening post pictures. I'll delete those images now since you've already got them downsized in the subsequent posts and we won't really be losing anything.

(Edit: I couldn't delete just the attachments, so deleted the entire first post...as it happens, the pictures are included at a better size below anyway)

D.

Oh, moving on... I concur with remote firing mechnism for an occluded gun barrel. What I most noticed though was the apparent "cosmetic" side armor that seems to be pretty much just sheet metal like on our "Hot Pants" M60A1 from the early '70's.

-> AFV News Discussion Board