Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC*
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC* Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:15 pm
    ----
I have wanted to get to this museum ever since I noticed a Marmon-Herrington was located there. Certainly not the greatest tank ever, but as far as I know Jacques Littlefield has the only other ones in the US...

This is the CTMS-1TB1 model, aka the "Dutch Three Man Tank", one of the ones that Marmon-Herrington built for the Dutch East Indies Army. It is not one of the ones that was taken into service by the US Army in Alaska - those had two turrets. The CTMS-1B1 was evaluated by the Army at Aberdeen Proving Ground, was rejected for service. According to the museum plaque, it was given to the museum by "Robert Bentley, Adam Metal Products, of Ledgewood, NJ." Still curious how Mr Bentley came by this tank, but I didnt have time to stop inside the museum & ask...

It looks like the Marmon-Herrington "code" or serial number is stamped on the turret. This one appears to be 791:

Lawrenceville is the artillery annex for the museum, so naturally it has a decent number of SPHs & even some towed artillery.

M42 Duster

M55

Just for Jeff - M106A2 mortar carrier

Best condition M108 I have seen

M109A3

One of two M110A2s

Neil

#2: Re: Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC* Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:20 pm
    ----
This is just too cute....it's proportions make it almost look like some of those Lego tanks!

#3: Re: Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC* Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:24 am
    ----
Neil - Between Lawranceville and The Chieftan at Delran, you're almost making me want to volunteer to take my wife up to see her sister in Cinaminson (the town next to Delran). I swore I would never volunteer to go to her place again.

#4: Re: Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC* Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:26 am
    ----
Fort Dix is also right in that neck of the woods, but I didnt have time to stop there - and I'm not sure what the access restrictions are there these days (have heard its hard to get on).

Neil

#5: Re: Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC* Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:34 am
    ----
What do you want me to do plan for a whole weekend at her place?

#6: Re: Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC* Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:06 am
    ----
Neil,
Thanks for the M106A2 Mortar Carrier pic. I would love to see a couple of these displayed in-doors with the rear hatches open and an actual 4.2in mortar mounted in the back. Outdoor they are always "button'd up" so they just look like any other M113. These tracks played such an important role in support of Infantry and Armor. Whether it was with HE, WP, or Illum, we always recieved calls for fire.
I worked with the M113A2 and the "Four-Duece" from Jan 1994-Sept 96 while with the 24th ID at Ft Stewart, GA. They then switched to the 120mm Mortar on the M1064 platform, ( a much improved vehicle / gun system!). Most Mortars you now see are only displayed as ground mounted inside museums. In the 13 years I was "Mechanized" Infantry, we only ground-mounted once. Mobility to shoot, MOVE, and comunicate was emphasized, esspecially with counter-battery radar. Even during OIF, while in FOB's, the Mortars are still track mounted. Todays MBC computers, advanced munitions, and GPS have greatly increased the Mortars lethality and kill radius. Todays 120mm Mortar, is more deadly than a 155rd fired from a 1960-80's era Howitzer. Just my two cents, with some fatc thrown in, haha.

#7: Re: Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC* Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:55 pm
    ----
Fort Dix is well near impossible to get onto these days without some sort of special clearence. Shame, because it used to be semi public and there were several AFV's and pieces of artillery sited around the traffic circle leading from Pemberton Road to Wrightstown. It all changed after 9/11

Jeff Lewis

#8: Re: Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC* Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:21 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
This is just too cute....

Well, if you think the Marmon-Herrington was cute, check out these two:

I suppose they could also serve as trivia... What are they?

The vehicles in the background are extra points for the "no prize."

Neil

#9: Re: Lawrenceville NJ ARNG Militia Museum Annex *PIC* Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:16 am
    ----
The bottom one is the "Track Development Chassis T-1" - I can't place the suspension on the other.

Alan

-> AFV News Discussion Board