June 1943 Australia Train Jeep, by request...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: June 1943 Australia Train Jeep, by request... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:58 am
    ----
The following is in response to a request from Tibor Farkas, of Budapest, Hungary. He contacted me via my military e-mail account asking for pictures and information on WWII Jeeps, the Railroad Jeep inparticular. It seems he saw previous pictures of it I had posted on this DG while at Fort Eustis, VA., when I visited the museum there while attending 88N school. It seems that Mr. Farkas does quite a bit of information gathering on WWII Jeeps. Prehaps others on this DG can contribute to this thread as well, and we can all enjoy the pics and info.

#2: Re: June 1943 Australia Train Jeep, by request... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:22 am
    ----
Jeff....
I'd still be keen to learn what provisions there were for stopping the rail cars...gotta' be more to this process than the Jeep brakes...I hope.

Can you tell from examination of the vehicle if it had some connection to the braking system of the cars (if any)?

Doug

#3: Re: June 1943 Australia Train Jeep, by request... Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:16 am
    ----
I'd like to have seen the jeep easily pulling 20,000 lbs easily stop Smile Doesn't look like there's an air compressor or air fittings visible - perhaps the driver used engine braking and downshifting for the first couple of miles and then stuck his foot out when he slowed enough... Different wheels on the actual example compared to the photo though.

Alan

#4: Re: June 1943 Australia Train Jeep, by request... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:12 am
    ----
These are the only pictures I have of this Jeep. I took notes on it (which I'll have to find) which might have the serial number listed. I just am not sure where my notes are after our move to Ft Hood, sorry.

-> AFV News Discussion Board