Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:14 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Yeah, I have always wanted "Hunnicutts" on foreign vehicles. IMO, my personal "Hunnicutts" (or closest thing out there) on foreign vehicles include:

Centurion Tank by Bill Munro

Chars de France by Jean-Gabriel Jeudy (its in French, but its the best/only single volume reference I have seen on French armor development)

Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank 1987-2006 by Simon Dunstan

Challenger Main Battle Tank 1982-97 by Simon Dunstan

Challenger Squadron by Simon Dunstan

Chieftain by Rob Griffin

Conqueror by Rob Griffin

Czechoslovak Armored Fighting Vehicles 1918-1948 by Charles K. Kliment, Vladimir Francev

Germany's Panther Tank the Quest for Combat Supremacy: Development - Modifications - Rare Variants - Characteristics - Combat Accounts by Thomas L. Jentz (basically anything from Jentz is good)

The IS Tanks (IS-1, IS-2, IS-3) by Mikhail Baryatinskiy

Israeli Sherman by Thomas Gannon

Standard Catalog Of German Military Vehicles by David Doyle (best single volume resource I have found on WWII German vehicles, and at a decent price too)

The Panther & Its Variants (Spielberger German Armor & Military Vehicles, Vol 1) by Walter J. Spielberger

Soviet/Russian Armor and Artillery Design Practices: 1945 to Present
by David R. Markov and Steven Zaloga (best, most comprehensive English work on this subject I am aware of, started out as a project for the Marine Corps Intelligence Activity!)

Any of the old AFV Profile pamphlets are also pretty good...

Neil

As a starting point for references I'll put in a plug for Chamberlain & Ellis as a reasonably priced reference for WWII tanks. They did one each on 'British and American Tanks' which also covers other Commenwealth countries. And 'Encyclopedia of German Tanks' (I think that is the title) They also did a 'Tanks of the World 1915-1945' that has short entries on just about everyone during that period. Mine was a hardback that I got as a requested present back in about 1971. The B&A and German ones have been reprinted recently in softcover. They are 8.5x11 or so. Of course they are not as detailed as Hunnicutt.

I would hope that the base Library would have at least reference copies of Hunnicutt. If not see if the Musuems have them. Aberdeen has a set (I know some are signed, they all might be) Some of his last ones are still available through 'normal' channels at reasonable prices.

#17: Munro Centurion Book Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:26 pm
    ----
Hi Neil:

I was not at all impressed by the Munro Centurion book. I borrowed a friend's and read it, and was pretty horrified by the number of mistakes in it (for instance, referring to the air deflector at the rear of the Centurion as a "dozer blade"!). My memory fails me, but the book was riddled with errors, both large and small. Once I find those sorts of errors in common information, I find myself unable to trust any of the research behind it. I was tempted to make a list of the mistakes I found, but it would have been something akin to a graduate student I heard of who wrote a doctoral thesis on all of the errors/omissions/tweaking of history present in Churchill's History of the Second World War.

Mark Hayward's Firefly book is what I would consider one of those definitive works, along with the Leopard 1 trilogy from Barbarossa Books (the author's name escapes me, I'm afraid).

Cheers,

Scott

#18: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:29 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- geoffsteer
Hi Guys-
Reference the following from senior Doug Kibbey's post:
Geoff Steer [;-{/) Razz

Geoff, if we can just make that Señor, we'll be back on speaking terms again.... Wink

...It sounded OK to me...! Wink

#19: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:00 pm
    ----
Isn't Senior a rank in the CIA (Curmudgians In Armor) I've just never figured it's relation to geezer, oldfart, whippersnapper, youngpup, and oldtimer. I am pretty sure that whippersnapper are very junior positions and may in fact be members of the childrens auxilery.

#20: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:15 pm
    ----
No wonder your name is "Mr. Smart"!

Chuck should study at the feet of the master, you obviously know how to get ahead in life. Wink

(Now I just need to have a word with Roy about that "Dong" thing)

#21: Re: Munro Centurion Book Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:20 pm
    ----
- Scott_Taylor
Hi Neil:

I was not at all impressed by the Munro Centurion book. I borrowed a friend's and read it, and was pretty horrified by the number of mistakes in it (for instance, referring to the air deflector at the rear of the Centurion as a "dozer blade"!). My memory fails me, but the book was riddled with errors, both large and small. Once I find those sorts of errors in common information, I find myself unable to trust any of the research behind it. I was tempted to make a list of the mistakes I found, but it would have been something akin to a graduate student I heard of who wrote a doctoral thesis on all of the errors/omissions/tweaking of history present in Churchill's History of the Second World War.

Scott, thanks. I had heard that as well, but even so its really the only resource that is out there - aside from the Osprey book by Dunstan, which isnt nearly as comprehensive. An errata would truly be a good project!

Mark Hayward's Firefly book is what I would consider one of those definitive works, along with the Leopard 1 trilogy from Barbarossa Books (the author's name escapes me, I'm afraid).

I had come across the Firefly book before online but didnt know how good it was, thanks for the info. Been aware of the Leopard 1 books, but just havent quite gotten to the point of throwing that kind of money, at the Leopard 1 at least...

Neil

#22: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:41 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Chuck should study at the feet of the master, you obviously know how to get ahead in life. Wink

Or does he know something we don't? Shocked Shocked Shocked

#23: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:42 pm
    ----
...and you were doing so well there for a moment. Rolling Eyes

#24: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:19 pm
    ----
Read somethere there's a book in the pipeline on the S.A. use of the Olifant (mod of the Centurion).

Thank goodness I avoided buying the Munro book on the Centurion Wink

#25: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:26 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

I really don't want to know if he's been peeking...! Shocked Wink

#26: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:33 am
    ----
Since all this talk of Hunnicutt's authorship is elevating the interst, I'll strategically raise my opening bid to $2.00 per book, all the venison in my freezer, AND $10 in tickets to the 6/49 lottery. Hey, it is worth $15 million this Friday!

It's too bad George lives in another city, or I'd forget the lottery tickets and throw in two driveway shovellings within the next year. And he could pick the days. I'd being generous here, eh?

#27: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:12 pm
    ----
Hi Guys-
Neil_Baumgardner wrote:
"Scott, thanks. I had heard that as well, but even so its really the only resource that is out there" Neil, have you heard of the Centurion book by Barry Beldam? I have this book and it is trully a must! The book contains technical manual drawings and walk around photos.
See it here:
store.quartermastersde...fault.aspx

HTH-
Geoff Steer

#28: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:50 pm
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
Since all this talk of Hunnicutt's authorship is elevating the interst, I'll strategically raise my opening bid to $2.00 per book, all the venison in my freezer, AND $10 in tickets to the 6/49 lottery. Hey, it is worth $15 million this Friday!

It's too bad George lives in another city, or I'd forget the lottery tickets and throw in two driveway shovellings within the next year. And he could pick the days. I'd being generous here, eh?

Maple Leaf,
Two questons:

1. Is that U.S. or Canadian $'s? I want to make a counter bid, but I don't want to overpay.

2. What's a "shovelling"?

D.

#29: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:20 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

2. What's a "shovelling"?

D.

Sounds like something kinky to me, so I'm afraid of the answer. Between Dong and 'shovelling' y'all are gettin' kind of perverted here. Shocked

Now, I respect that, but I'm just sayin'... Rolling Eyes

Wink
C

#30: Re: Full Collection... all signed by Hunnicutt himself... Author: BryanWilson PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:59 pm
    ----
...The IS Tanks (IS-1, IS-2, IS-3) by Mikhail Baryatinskiy...

I just picked this book within the last week or so & am about halfway through it. What do you think of it?

-> AFV News Discussion Board