M60 in front of Ft Hood Range Control...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60 in front of Ft Hood Range Control... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:58 am
    ----
This M60 sits in front of Range Control, (RC) along with an M3 Half Track, an M4A3E8 Sherman, and an M151A2 Jeep. I have numerous pictures of each that I will post shortly. This M60 is serial number 1128. Is that a phone box on the rear fender? I always wondered how those search lights mounted. Looks like some trailer hitches, which explains the balls I see above most M60 gun barrels. This particular tank had a shiney OD paint job, while pretty, it sure doesn't seem very tactical.

#2: Re: M60 in front of Ft Hood Range Control... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:50 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

This M60 sits in front of Range Control,..... Is that a phone box on the rear fender?

Yes it is. In fact that one was removed from the fender and rised up and mounted on a bracket coming off the hull. That way when the fender gets damaged, it reduces the damage to the phone cable which was a bear to replace.

- SFC_Jeff_Button

This particular tank had a shiney OD paint job, while pretty, it sure doesn't seem very tactical.

Hey young trooper! That's the way we used to paint them. In fact, that tank is missing the large white stars which added to it's tactical look.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: M60 in front of Ft Hood Range Control... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:00 am
    ----
Yep, should be a white star "strategically" placed on the front glacis...rather like a "bullseye", just like the ones on the turret sides. Rolling Eyes

And the searchlights do indeed mount like on a ball hitch for a trailer. They stow that way, too, though that vehicle appears not to have a stowage point. (Maybe early M60's didn't have one?).

Those paint jobs don't stay shiny for very long in the field. Wink

#4: Re: M60 in front of Ft Hood Range Control... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:06 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

And the searchlights do indeed mount like on a ball hitch for a trailer. They stow that way, too, though that vehicle appears not to have a stowage point. (Maybe early M60's didn't have one?).

Jeff's M60 is missing the storage rack.

The M60A0 used the same storage rack, setup the M48 tanks used. The rack was bolted to the turret vent cover and the light would hang down beside the left end of the bussle rack as you look at the rear of the turret.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#5: Re: M60 in front of Ft Hood Range Control... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:51 pm
    ----
So is this an A0 model?

Neil

#6: Re: M60 in front of Ft Hood Range Control... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:48 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
So is this an A0 model?

Neil
Yes, an M60 (A-nothing), also called a Slick 60. One of the later versions of the Slick 60 since the first ones used a modified M48 turret.

#7: Re: M60 in front of Ft Hood Range Control... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:37 pm
    ----
It's kind of nice to see the old girl set out with the light and the M85 barrel in place. ASfter the retirement of the M48A5/M60/M60A1 I'll bet there was a huge pile of ANVSS2 searchlights lying around somewhere! Although my asthma kept me out of the Army, I always remember an Army Reserve recruiter that let me drive an M60 for a few feet while he was trying to talk me into joining up. When I was growing up, the M60 was the best thing the US had in the inventory. It was one of the first "kitbashed" tanks I ever did in the early 70's - I used a Monogram M48A2 turret and parts from a Tamiya M60A1 to create a fair M60. It's good to see that not all of the ended up as reefs.

Gary

-> AFV News Discussion Board