ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:03 pm
    ----

I found these two arty peices down in 4ID land along the roadside. They had no plaques and I'm not real familiar with arty stuff. "Deep Strike", had a unit crest painted on it that read "Duty Not Reward". The stubby barreled peice had the following numbers stamped on its turret but they were upside down, 0748, B7332488. Both peices had very thick paint jobs and I couldn't find any stampings.

#2: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:19 pm
    ----
As usual, nice pics! The top one is a M44 155mm Howitzer. The bottom one is a M52 105mm howitzer. They are both based on the M41 light tank.

#3: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:08 pm
    ----
Jeff, many thanks- you confirmed the M52 + a M44! Should I say these are located at 4th ID DIVARTY, or I guess the "Fires Brigade" now?

Neil

#4: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:41 am
    ----
Toadman, you are welcome for the pictures. I try to get the best I can with my little 3.2 mega-pixel Kodak camera.
Neil, I showed my wife the two lists you posted of the armor vehicles on post that you'd like to verify the existance of ( I showed her the printed versions). She said "good-lord!", and laughed. Good thing I have an understanding wife, haha.
Can anyone eloborate more on these vehicles? I could "Google" but I enjoy the personal insight from the people on this DG. Thanks

#5: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:08 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

Neil, I showed my wife the two lists you posted of the armor vehicles on post that you'd like to verify the existance of ( I showed her the printed versions). She said "good-lord!", and laughed. Good thing I have an understanding wife, haha.

Jeff, you need to take good care of that lady! She is worth her weight in gold!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

Can anyone eloborate more on these vehicles? I could "Google" but I enjoy the personal insight from the people on this DG. Thanks

Those two vehicles where used by the Division Artillery of the Armored Divisions from sometime around the late 1950s until replaced by the M-108/M-109 family of SP artillery.

If I remember right the SP artillery when something like this:

WW II and Korea, M7 105mm based on the M3 Lee/M4 Sherman hull mounting the M101 towed how. There was no SP 155.
(Note: I am thinking about Division level artillery, the M12 and M40/43s were Corps level systems)

Post WW II, the M37 105 how with a new weapon design and the M41 155, using the M114 towed how, both based on the M24 light tank hull.

Post Korea, the M52 became the first 105 SP How. to have an armored turret with limited movement. The M44 mounted a newer 155 barrel. Both as posted before, were based on the M41 light tank along with the M59 APC.

Vietnam, active units had the M-108 105 and M109 155 and AFAIK, the M52 and M44s never were deployed to the RVN. Not long after the Army started upgrading to the M108/109 FOVs, the disicion was made to upgrade from 105 to 155 and the division artillery ended up with the M109 which is still in use with the Armored units.

Hope I got all those 'M' numbers right. Smile
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:46 pm
    ----
Neil,
This is going to sound like I don't know much about Ft Hood, but when I was here five years ago, both of these sat in different locations than they do now, about one block south on another road. An aviation unit moved into those buildings and put Hueys on the pads instead. I'm not sure these were placed at actual artillery buildings or just moved out of the way temporarily. With 3rd ACR moving into this side of the post, its hard to tell where these two might end up. If they do move them again, I'd like to be there to photograph it.

#7: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:03 pm
    ----
If you can just tell me where they are located now that would be cool. Can update any info as its available.

Neil

#8: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:08 pm
    ----
They are about 300meters apart, sitting along Old Ironsides Ave, west of 16th St.

#9: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:29 pm
    ----
Old Ironsides Avenue, got it - many thanks!

Neil

#10: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:59 pm
    ----
Actually on a military post noting it by building number is probably best.

#11: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:01 pm
    ----
Probably, but I'll take either one...

Neil

#12: Re: ID these two Ft Hood artillery peices... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:16 pm
    ----
For a bunch of folks living off your efforts we're a picky bunch aren't we Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board