A10-A at Ft Hood for Doug...
-> Officer's Club

#1: A10-A at Ft Hood for Doug... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:36 am
    ----
This is for Doug, as he seems to be one of the last remaining people that still seems to enjoy viewing aircraft found and posted here. This A-10 is actually an "GA-10A". The "G" designation stands for "permanently grounded". This aircraft stands in front of the Air Force building here at Ft Hood. Its been here a while, as it was here when I was back in Jan 1998- 2001. It's one of 42 built under it's government contract back in 1976. Almost all the others in it's build went to AMARC in 1992. There was one other brought down by a SAM during Desert Storm. While she doesn't look bad from the roadway, once you get up close you see her deteriorating shape. I took my family to see this one, and Jeffrey is here helping me write this, enjoy, I have more coiming shortly.

#2: Re: A10-A at Ft Hood for Doug... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 am
    ----
Jeff,
That one needs a bath, alright!

It's worth looking these over closely for possible battle damage, depending on what you can find out about where it served. Patched/repaired areas might not be detectable if they do a complete job, but you never know! Wink

I really admire what those planes represent...direct CAS without the jet jockey panache.

#3: Re: A10-A at Ft Hood for Doug... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:04 pm
    ----
I actually got to see these fire at old tanks in the desert at NTC back in 1999-2000. Very impressive and scary at the same time. They rip up evrything on the receiveing end of that cannon. The noise is cool also!

#4: Re: A10-A at Ft Hood for Doug... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:32 pm
    ----
Hi all,

What is funny is that the tail codes are for Davis-Monthan AFB, here in Arizona! I probably watched this bird flying around here when I was a kid.

C

#5: Re: A10-A at Ft Hood for Doug... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:52 am
    ----
Davis Mothan is where most endeed up being "moth-balled". This one was used for training ground crews and then made its way here if I'm not mistaken.

-> Officer's Club