What type of Ft Hood Sherman is this???
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What type of Ft Hood Sherman is this??? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:49 am
    ----
My son and I found this Sherman sitting in front of 2-8Cav HQ's, 1st Cav Div, at the corner of 76th St., and Battalion Ave. This tank had stamping everywhere!!! So I tried to pick out what I thought the key ones were and wrote them down. On the front left hull was 1062956, CP9186. Under the travel lock on the front hull was 6940, D-52644, C-1125. Under each front lift loop was 211 stamped in. Behind the left headlight was 12438. Behind the right headlight was 12513. There is one picture where my son has his hand on the side of the hull. To the right of his hand, stamped from in order from top to bottom was the following, 76A, 95B, 34C, _D, 38E. Each of these had an ordnance symbol right after the letter. I couldn't make out what was before the D. The left rear tow lug had a 48 visible but there may have been more before these two numbers. There were many more stampings in all sorts of locations and angles. I hope this helps de-code this tank. It's the only one I've spied thus far with the wide fender skirting.

#2: Re: What type of Ft Hood Sherman is this??? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:26 am
    ----
Jeff,
It's another M4A3(76)HVSS. Other than some book pictures, I don't think I've ever seen any with full skirts. Another nice find!

#3: Re: What type of Ft Hood Sherman is this??? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:33 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- toadmanstankpictures

It's another M4A3(76)HVSS. Other than some book pictures, I don't think I've ever seen any with full skirts. Another nice find!

I have to agree with Chris. I think that is the ONLY M4A3(76)HVSS with skirts that I have ever seen outside of photos taken during the Korean War or WW II.

I wonder if that set of fenders is orginal or someone took the trouble to scratch build a set?

Another nice looking Sherman!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#4: Re: What type of Ft Hood Sherman is this??? Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:22 am
    ----
Hey! - Are those the all metal T-66 type tracks - from the first series of M4A3E8's? I don't think that I've seen too many Easy 8's on display that have these tracks on them. These in themselves could be a rare find.

cn

#5: Re: What type of Ft Hood Sherman is this??? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:12 pm
    ----
Another stunning Sherman! That's the way one should look like ... with all the fenders on!

Jeff

#6: Re: What type of Ft Hood Sherman is this??? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:27 pm
    ----
- jcneel
Hey! - Are those the all metal T-66 type tracks - from the first series of M4A3E8's? I don't think that I've seen too many Easy 8's on display that have these tracks on them. These in themselves could be a rare find.

cn

I didn't catch the T66 track part. I must've been too tired last night. This is probably only the third one I've seen on display with it. It also has a "comb" on the differential cover too. Now that's really cool!

#7: Re: What type of Ft Hood Sherman is this??? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:04 am
    ----
I thought it might be rare, just due to the fenders and wide track. All the stampings have me confused though. I need to contact Joe DeMarco with this find! hopefully he can help with the crazy info.

#8: Re: What type of Ft Hood Sherman is this??? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:54 am
    ----
This appears to be a Chrysler built Sherman due to the CP9186 that was stamped into it, (CP stands for Chrylser Plymouth). A guess would place its build around late 1944-early 1945. I read that most of these full skirted Shermans were supposed to be destined for desert use where the skirts could keep sand from flying around a little better. While it may look nice, I can tell you first hand thats its not the sand, but the dust that causes much of the problems with visibility and maintenance.

-> AFV News Discussion Board